A500 lock-up trans fluid and dry fill procedure

-

str12-340

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have a freshly rebuilt A500 4 speed OD automatic with lock up. I'm looking for recommendations for trans fluid for a street car. The only trans kinda like this I have is a A518 in my 97 van and manual says ATF +2...

This is a freshly rebuilt unit going behind a relatively mild 318. The engine is also fresh. Since I'll be starting both together I won't have too much time to pay attention to the trans during engine break in, so I'm looking for suggestions:

Get as much trans fluid in the converter before installation?

How much fluid in the trans before it starts?

How long can it run that way (stationary) before I start moving through gears an putting the rest of the fluid in?

More tips for success???

Atf +4 start with 6 litres will probably take 9ish if it’s filled to fast it my leak out of the vent ,I’m sure there are other guys that do it differently.

Use a trans funnel to put fluid into the converter. Poke it all the way down to the bottom, fill the funnel, then lift it slightly to fill. This method bypasses any bubbles that have to fight their way out. Put about two quarts into the converter. Put a gallon into the trans before starting it. Add the rest of the fluid immediately upon starting. You cannot wait and let it idle with just the four quarts. After about a minute, the pump bushing will start to scuff; then burn. The pump can suck up fluid faster than it can go down the tube; about a quart per 10 seconds. Don't move the lever out of Neutral until the stick says FULL. And don't let the trans warm up AT ALL to get it to the full mark. Get it to the Full mark asap. IF you happen to overfill it, just remove the neutral safety switch to drain out the excess.

Use a trans funnel to put fluid into the converter. Poke it all the way down to the bottom, fill the funnel, then lift it slightly to fill. This method bypasses any bubbles that have to fight their way out. Put about two quarts into the converter. Put a gallon into the trans before starting it. Add the rest of the fluid immediately upon starting. You cannot wait and let it idle with just the four quarts. After about a minute, the pump bushing will start to scuff; then burn. The pump can suck up fluid faster than it can go down the tube; about a quart per 10 seconds. Don't move the lever out of Neutral until the stick says FULL. And don't let the trans warm up AT ALL to get it to the full mark. Get it to the Full mark asap. IF you happen to overfill it, just remove the neutral safety switch to drain out the excess.
Can the converter be drained and filled while in the vehicle?
I want to do as full a fluid change as I can to the A500/42RH in my 1989 Dodge B350

Thanx

Can the converter be drained and filled while in the vehicle?
I want to do as full a fluid change as I can to the A500/42RH in my 1989 Dodge B350

Thanx
Nope there’s always fluid that stays in there . Now saying that you can use a flush machine and that gets it all .

-
Back