a500 or 200r4 ?

-

rustytoolss

Reaction score
If your a mopar purist that's fine. But my ride is a " Frankenstien" . I would like to install an automatic Overdrive transmission. No matter what transmission I use, I will need to make an adapter plate. So using an a500 or a 200r4 does not change the adapter plate problem..
From a stand point of which trans would be better to use, which trans would have the least parasitic power loss ? And which trans would be better in a street driven car (with less than 250hp) ? What would be you choice ?
I've heard that the a500's OD section is working all the time, even it lower gears (but not sure about that). So would the a500 suck up more power "all the time" just asking.

If your a mopar purist that's fine. But my ride is a " Frankenstien" . I would like to install an automatic Overdrive transmission. No matter what transmission I use, I will need to make an adapter plate. So using an a500 or a 200r4 does not change the adapter plate problem..
From a stand point of which trans would be better to use, which trans would have the least parasitic power loss ? And which trans would be better in a street driven car (with less than 250hp) ? What would be you choice ?
I've heard that the a500's OD section is working all the time, even it lower gears (but not sure about that). So would the a500 suck up more power "all the time" just asking.

The A500 will bolt right up to a small block, and the OD section spins all the time as mentioned.
Parasitic power loss would be so small I don't think that is a concern.
The 200 requires heavier internal parts to live because of things like stamped steel drums, pistons and such. (that's the drum that gets hammered on normally) and I have seen clutch plates cut right through those.
I'm running an Transgo stage 2 kitted A500 behind a 350+hp 5.9 Magnum without any problems at all with it, and I have some pretty tall gears because I do a lot of freeway driving.
That low first gear of the A500 is nice as it gets the car moving right now.:D
Here is a comparison of the two just as an example.
That said, a lot of guys like the 200 when built.

direct.png

cast.jpg

No matter what transmission I use, I will need to make an adapter plate. So using an a500 or a 200r4 does not change the adapter plate problem..

The A500 will bolt right up to a small block, and the OD section spins all the time as mentioned.

If he needs an adapter plate no matter which transmission, sounds like he's using a slant or big block

Actually it's a 1946 Dodge dump bed pickup. With a 1991 Shadow 2.5 Garret Turbo engine (mounted north and south). Right now I have a Dakota 5spd manual. But would like to have a automatic with overdrive.

Actually it's a 1946 Dodge dump bed pickup. With a 1991 Shadow 2.5 Garret Turbo engine (mounted north and south). Right now I have a Dakota 5spd manual. But would like to have a automatic with overdrive.
That makes a big difference!! I thought you were working on an A body. I don't know about any clearance issues you might have with the A500 or the 2004R but I do know that the 2004R does not require any cutting on the trans tunnel on an A body.

treblig

I believe around 88,89,90 the Dakotas with the 2.5 4 cylinder were available with the lightest duty A500. I.ve never seen one, and I'm sure there are not very many of them out there.

Yeah, I've "heard" about those too. I think they are guarded by the "Loch ness monster" or at " area 51".
Never seen one either. :( "The truth is out there"

Last edited:
-
Back