A518???

-

AZ69dartGT

Reaction score
Has anyone heard of putting the early cummins auto trans in their car? My dad say it basically a 727 with over drive which would be awesome for cruising. I searched for this and couldn't find anything.

The 518 has been a popular swap for....now, decades.

Keep in mind, the Cummins A518 has a special bellhousing that is nothing like a Chrysler Small Block or Big Block. Infact there is only 1 other engine that will bolt up to the Cummins A518, and that's the Viper V10 (they share the same bellhousing pattern)

wow really did u read my whole post probably not smart *** comments weren't needed.

Obviously this has been posted multiple times and that's why it wasn't showing me anything.

Humm.. Didn't seem like a smart *** comment to me. Looked like he was just pointing out to use the search button and you'll find a lot of info. Your pretty new here so maybe he thought you didn't know. Since it was posted several times the search should have showed you several threads. The problem is the search has to be pretty exact. And since the A518 is also called a 46rh or 46re they might have been under that title. And 74 Dusted is right about the bolt pattern. Nothing like a small block so it won't bolt up. An A518 from a gas engine will bolt up but you need to do some cutting to make it fit.

Thats the info I was looking for cause the cummins trans is supposed to be a bit beefier he's a foreman at a weld/machine shop and is thinking of making an adapter.

Thats the info I was looking for cause the cummins trans is supposed to be a bit beefier he's a foreman at a weld/machine shop and is thinking of making an adapter.

Do you know what is supposed to be beefier about them? I rebuilt 1 a couple yrs. back and it had the standard heavy duty internals that I normally see in older big block torqueflites but that was all I noticed about it. It was an early one (1990) so maybe the later ones are beefed up more? Just a thought.

-
Back