A727 DipStick length?

-

Dan B.

78 and still going.
Reaction score
I have a hughes 67-TF8 Street/Strip ( A727) trans. and want to install a Lokar SS flex dipstick so I can mount it on my firewall. The current locking dipstick is down by my headers and I burn myself when checking fluid level. (also the previous owner made the comment that he wasn't sure if the current dipstick was the proper length as he had changed it). What would be the proper Lokar dipstick for this transmission? The current dipstick measures 19.750" to the ADD line from the "stop" and 18.750" to the Full line. A friend has a Lockar dipstick that I can get that measures 27.500" to the ADD line from the stop and 26.750" to the FULL line. (it's longer because it's meant to attach to the firewall.

It really depends on how long the tube is, this will change what the stick reads.

It really depends on how long the tube is, this will change what the stick reads.
Yes. I figured if I knew what the correct length was supposed to be I could figure out if the Lokar would work. I could take a reading on what I have now, replace it with the Lokar and see if I come up with the same reading. But then again I'm not positive that the one installed now is correct. Maybe I should have asked, how far beyond the tube end (the end that goes into the trans.) should it stick out?

Last edited:
SB... I believe the distance that the DS sticks out of the end of the tube, where it seats, will tell me what I need to know. (distance from the tube where it seats in the transmission to the ADD mark and FULL mark )

it sticks out the tube 1/2 inch. the full mark is 1 3/4 inch up from the bottom of the stick

100_0116.JPG

100_0117.JPG

100_0118.JPG

100_0119.JPG

100_0120.JPG

So..would you say that the full mark is even with the top of the dipstick tube hole in the case? So all a person would have to do is remove the tube while the motor is running in neutral; make sure the fluid is to the top of the hole, replace tube, check level on stick, and THAT'S the full mark??

I don't know about that. Everytime I pulled a tube out of a full trans the fluid came pouring out. Could be even wuth the top of the case running in neutral when the pump is moving fluid. That is how they want you to check it.

So you would have to have it running in neutral and then fill it and then put the tube in while its running. Good luck with that. That's not thinking with your dip stick. LOL

In the picture at the point of the pen, just above the "O" ring is where the tube seats in the transmission. From this point how far to the "Full mark"? In the attached picture the full mark is right even with the end of this tube or 1.125" from where it seats to the full mark. (end of the tube).
Dipstick 4.jpg

Dipstick.jpg

That's backwards. You would pull the tube OUT when it's running in neutral; to see if fluid is at the top of the hole. Why would you put the tube in? You wouldn't be able to see the fluid level with the tube in.

Well, I called Hughe's transmission tech., (which I should have done first) and the tech. guy said, "the fluid should be level with the top of the trans. pan, cold". He stated, " start the car in cold in natural" and check it. He also said that this level would put it between 1/2" and 1.000" below the dipstick hole. So, all I need to know now is the distance from the bottom of the dipstick hole to the top of the pan. I'll have to jack the car up in order to measure it, unless someone has a transmission out and could tell me.

That's backwards. You would pull the tube OUT when it's running in neutral; to see if fluid is at the top of the hole. Why would you put the tube in? You wouldn't be able to see the fluid level with the tube in.
I would measure from the top of the Boss (hole), where the tube seats, down to the fluid. I have a narrow ruler that will fit down the hole. I would compare this measurement to the outside measurement of the top of the hole to the top of the pan. All this would be done with the tube out.

-
Back