a727 lines

-
Jerry6, glad that your question was answered.

Mark, I eventually ran the steel lines. Overall I am not happy how close the brake, trans and gas lines to heat sources. I am also worried a bit for the starter. I will say I have no real history with muscle cars because i did "british" for many years. Who knows, this may be OK.

I did one thing that I expect I will get a lot of heat from. On the advice of my mechanic (he was a racer then became a team mechanic who was flown all over the place to support a couple of cars....He works in his family garage that has been in business since the 60's. Ever see a small garage with a lot of cool cars parked around it...this is the place) I cut out a small chunk of steel and replaced it with hydraulic rubber hose and put 2 clamps on either end. They mentioned that they have seen a lot of failure due to movement and this has been a successful fix. BTW, I almost lost a trans due to a rusting out line on our family car.

Nothing that I or the PO have bought customized for this car has fit without a lot of work. I figure that I spent less time building these lines .

Thanks for the laughs..i too did all of the above...it makes for creative language. My flairing kit from Canadian Tire will only do 10 or so flairs before it fails so know the girls no longer ask a lot of questions when I come in for a replacement. The one from Princess auto failes in about the same time but I didn't have a receipt to take it back..

Grassy

A mechanic friend who restored a Ford Mach1 Mustang told me he got a roll of insulating material from the auto store to put on lines near heat. I couldn't find any locally so I didn't use it. Apparently it's like fire fighters heat repellant material in a roll that you cut to length then secure the ends. He used it on his fuel lines and swears by it. I share your concern with the starter. I have stock exhaust manifolds and the exhaust runs very close to the starter. I remember replacing the starter about every 3 yrs when the car was a daily driver. I hear you should get a starter for a small block powerwagon(I think?...some type of HD vehicle w/small blk) as they are heavy duty and will last longer...plan to do that next time! Glad you got the lines ran...the small piece if rubber was recommended by my friends too...I used it to connect to my external cooler as it had slip-on hose connections. Send pictures when you get it running!

Will do. I tried a dak starter..much smaller than the massive one that was on my /6.

I will keep my eyes open for the roll of insulating material...going to the city soon to x-mas shop so I can sneak into a few car shops and see what they have.

Ian.

-
Back