A727 Stator

-

Dart WR

Reaction score
Good Evening,

I am looking for some clarification to repair a missing check ball in the stator.
Car is a 1974 Dart Sport 360 with matching engine and A727 transmission.

Long story short; The lugs on the inner pump gear were sheared off. See Photo. Likely cause was TC not seated properly. I found 2 small deformed metal pieces , which appear to be parts of a check ball, in the front pump seal.

The transmission shop advised that the pieces are from the stator. Also to find a check ball and wedge it in and seal so it is airtight. See empty hole in photo.

Is there supposed to be 2 check balls in a 1974 A727 ? Stator is
stator1.jpg
Part 2466685 L-12

If so, what is the best way to fix this? Any special ball?

That's junk.
Thanks. So you are saying there should be 2 checkballs.

Just checked an ebay post which has a stator /oil pump body with the same part numbers as the assembly I have. It is advertised as a rebuilt unit and, as below, there is one check ball. It is confusing to me.

727 Front Pump 1971-77Transmission REBUILT Dodge Plymouth | eBay
Specs
  • Wide front drum bushing
  • 2 small rings on input shaft
  • 1 check ball in stator near pump gears
  • 1.175 ID on stator bushing
  • Non-lockup

I found another stator on ebay with the 2 holes and the one checkball.

I took a closer look at those metal fragments and they have a flat bottom and the top is a dome shape. The flat bottom appears to be the original shape with the dome being somewhat deformed. I am not seeing that the fragments were ever round.

Anything like that in the TC that would have come out and lodged into the front seal ?

photo of the TC hub

trans tc hub.jpg

where are the sheared off lugs?
That is an excellent question. I have not found them in the pan on several occasions. During the onset of the problem and followup I had the pan off 3 times to clean, inspect the Valve body, put another valve body in, adjust kickdown etc.. None of that solved the problem. Note: the transmission engaged and shifted when cold but lost all engagement after stopping and placed into park at operating temperature.

It became apparent the transmission had to come out as it would not engage in any gear with suspected loss of pressure and hydraulics. The broken pump gears solved the mystery.

All that to say I have not seen any lugs or the remants of them. They are not in the front or rear clutch.

Last edited:
On the original question if the stator needs repair or not I am going to another transmission business tomorrow to compare the oil pump assembly I have with some core transmissions they have.

Thought I would post some outcomes.
- gave up on the transmission shop (Shop A) that suggested the stator needed the check ball repair. Also tried to sell me a $ 1500 rebuild with converter. This with me doing the trans removal & reinstall

- got a complete used oil pump assembly from another transmission shop (Shop B). Same part numbers with a one check ball stator. All in good shape and half of what shop A wanted to fix or replace.

- new TC from trans supply shop. Some discussion there about small or big mounting pads. The TC that came out had the big pads and several catalogues specified the big pads.

- the metal fragments are still a mystery. Close up of fragments posted for interest sake. Both fragments are Flat on the bottom with a dome shape on top.

Still have to do band apply air tests to confirm that everything is good. I was advised that 1 and 2 check ball stators are not interchangeable so that should be the definitive answer on the stator.
trans ball fragments.jpg

-
Back