A833 driveshaft length?

-

Muswagon

Reaction score
I am going from 440/727 to 440/A833. I know the driveshaft will be too short, what is the needed?

1971 Duster, 8 3/4 rearend.

I searched but now I am dizzy as people seem to measure differently.

I have read anywhere from 47.75 to 48.96 "

My info says 48.96" cj-cj. I would measure as a double check. With the suspension loaded, bottom out the yoke in the trans....measurement (A) center joint to center joint. Then subtract 0.75-1.00".

Driveshaft-1.jpg

From the 1971 FSM.......

Since the Duster never came with a 440, I took the differences and compared them from the same swap, but using 340 as a baseline......

It looks like the 833 shaft needs to be 3.97 inches longer than the 727 shaft......Assuming the shaft that you are using now is adequate for the 440/727 combo.

I have a 440, 833 8.75 combo and my driveshaft is 49.5" u joint center to ujoint center.

I wouldn't go off of someone else's measurements though. I would measure your application to get the exact length you need.

Mine is 45 on the nose which is weird. Local guy has a 48.8 out of his dart, new u joints and has the 727 yoke on it for $100… that’s a buy even if it’s not right but it should be just about perfect.

Cut the input shaft on the a833 after measuring 4 times. Keep in mind I’m a dummy so I cut a little less, but was too cautious. Too sketchy to do again right now as I’m rattled lol…. It sure you guys do the trans with a car on Jack stands, I used a trans Jack to check the measurement and I still had some warm pee running down my leg..

IMG_2935.jpeg

IMG_2934.jpeg

IMG_2933.jpeg

There's this chart that might help from MP..................
1708801351108.png

Mine is 45 on the nose which is weird. Local guy has a 48.8 out of his dart, new u joints and has the 727 yoke on it for $100… that’s a buy even if it’s not right but it should be just about perfect.

Cut the input shaft on the a833 after measuring 4 times. Keep in mind I’m a dummy so I cut a little less, but was too cautious. Too sketchy to do again right now as I’m rattled lol…. It sure you guys do the trans with a car on Jack stands, I used a trans Jack to check the measurement and I still had some warm pee running down my leg..

View attachment 1716211855

View attachment 1716211856

View attachment 1716211858
Is that a Lakewood bellhousing? If so, I wouldn't use it unless you are planning on hydraulic clutch linkage...even then there are some issues that need addressed.

I’m using a hydraulic bearing. Grabbed some 3/8 bolts to replace the stock 7/16 for the bottom holes. The alignment ring is good. Hopefully I’m not missing anything else with this bell? I bought it 3 years ago before I knew it was a pos, had this swap planned for awhile

Another stupid question while i am here.....

Things are very tight lifting the trans in while guiding it, can i install the shifter and rods easy enough with trans bolted in? Or is this easier to do before trans install?

I don't want more s*&^ in the way if I can avoid.

I’m using a hydraulic bearing. Grabbed some 3/8 bolts to replace the stock 7/16 for the bottom holes. The alignment ring is good. Hopefully I’m not missing anything else with this bell? I bought it 3 years ago before I knew it was a pos, had this swap planned for awhile
Make sure you check the bore runout. Use the smaller 130 tooth flywheel even though it can be used with either.

-
Back