A833 od advice needed please!

-

v8val

v8val
Reaction score
Hi all! Quick question, i Have a Australian Valiant basically the same as a Plymouth valiant with a 383, 727 and 8 3/4. I only use the car for race days and the occasional cruise. Even though its a 383 car its light in the front similar to a sb so handles pretty well with all the mods i've done. Obviously a manual trans would suit my purpose better and i'm at a crossroads whether i should change. I have a chance to do a straight swap with a guy , my BB727 for his BB A833 OD . comes with clutch bellhousing etc. It will prob be a pain to change the bellhousing to put the clutch fork on the right hand side as we have right hand drive cars. But mostly i don't know what these boxes can handle?? The car will be putting out real close to 500hp with a cam upgrade and i run a locked diff. Will the strain of a manual be too much for the diff as well?? Thanx for your replies as i would need to act fairly quick on this opportunity.

833 O/D's are not known for their strength. They were never meant to be put behind high horsepower cars because they didn't come out until the mid-'70's. I would think the 8.75 would be alright unless you have slicks or are somehow getting some really good traction.

STAY with your 727. handles the hp better, and the hassle of clutch conversion would discourage me

-
Back