A833 OD Iron case repair

-

champyfz450

Reaction score
I bought this transmission site unseen for $200cdn. All I knew from the guy was that it was definitely an A833 but couldn't confirm if it even worked. Turns out it was exactly the transmission I needed (for an Abody) and it seems to operate fine. From what I've read its a bit of a rare bird. Only issue is that I have to repair the shifter mount.

Should I tear down the tailshaft to do this weld?

A833 1.jpg

A833 2.jpg

A833 3.jpg

A833 4.jpg

I don't know why you would not. Pull it apart, do a thorough inspection, replace bearings, seals, gaskets. Hard to say what may be worn, water intrusion damage, etc.

I don't know why you would not. Pull it apart, do a thorough inspection, replace bearings, seals, gaskets. Hard to say what may be worn, water intrusion damage, etc.
Very valid point since I know nothing about it internally. Thanks

Why not just get another tailshaft housing and replace it?
$$$$$$$
If you have the equipment to repair it, there is a significant savings. They don't give away the housings, they are heavy, and shipping is ridiculous these days. Probably worse in CA than down here from what I've been hearing, especially if you have to cross the border.

Look around for an A body or FM&J aluminum housing. I think the FM&J OD housing is the same as an A body.

Look around for an A body or FM&J aluminum housing. I think the FM&J OD housing is the same as an A body.

Many aluminum OD tail-shaft housings are small bushing (I have one). They take a 904 front yoke. Not sure of the interchangeability.

Don't know what you have in this cast iron OD trans. But I'd sure try to measure and verify. And verify interchangeability.

There might be a couple of simple ways to fix that boss without expensive work

If you can work tools at all, and from what little I can see in the (small) photo, what I might try is to carefully grind the boss "flat," and then using a shifter mount, locate the proper center and drill out and tap the boss. You might even be able to drill "clear through" with no ill effects. Then make a spacer to take up the difference. I would bet with out terribly abusive shifting, that you could even run that with only two shifter mount bolts.

-
Back