A833 Rebuild Help

-

Beams

Reaction score
Hope everyone is having a great weekend. I’ve decided to try my hand at rebuilding an a833. I’m equipped with the Passon book, service manual, YouTube, etc. So far, not bad.

Big question at the moment:
Can you help me gauge what good/bad synchro teeth look like? So far, on the 3-4 set, i don’t think I’m seeing anything terrible. For the slightly rounded teeth, can I use a file to get the point back? Thought I read that some take a dremel..that seems risky for a first attempt.

Attached are some pictures, I circled the teeth that I thought looked the worst.

IMG_3390.jpeg

IMG_3391.jpeg

I wouldn't worry about those nicks, what do the synchro rings look like? minimum parts to replace, gaskets, seals, synchro rings and input bearings and check everything else for wear.

Those don't look too bad for used parts, what I see will work just fine. You will not be able to reshape them with a file, the parts are hard. You would need to use some type of abrasive.

Usually change the brass sychros at rebuild, the teeth on the steels can be dressed once or twice. I like use a Dremel like grinder used to grind chainsaw cutting teeth.

Thanks all. Hoping that the 1-2 set looks good too. I still need to get that bearing off.

@Dan Brewer i appreciate the input. I have an order ready to submit for next week.

-
Back