A833 synchro question

-

ChargerST

Reaction score
I have a torque lock style synchronizer assembly which I think was only available on later OD transmissions. They use a special hub but the keys are the same as for the other 1970 and later synchros (3/8" wide) - at least that's what I thought. The cutout in the slider sleeve is very shallow and the keys slightly rock (meaning the bump on the keys doesn't fully seat in the cutout).
What am I missing? Do I have the wrong keys? or does it even matter that the keys won't fully seat in the cutout?

20210801-205441.jpg

I'm using the wider keys (narrow ones are 67-69 keys).

20210801-213324.jpg

Is this hub still useable? Shall I try to file the sides a bit?

20210801-211711.jpg

Last edited:
The wider keys in your pics are correct for the torq-loc sleeve. Notice there are only 3 of the splines that are cut for the keys, line them up with the slots in the drum. That sleeve should be used with an inner drum that looks like this one.

SYN-DR12TL.JPG

The wider keys in your pics are correct for the torq-loc sleeve. Notice there are only 3 of the splines that are cut for the keys, line them up with the slots in the drum. That sleeve should be used with an inner drum that looks like this one.

View attachment 1715774684

Thanks, that's what I needed to know. Drum can be seen in the background - it won't work with any other than the torq loc slider.
Why were the drums cut like this (omitting some splines)?

Thanks, that's what I needed to know. Drum can be seen in the background - it won't work with any other than the torq loc slider.
Why were the drums cut like this (omitting some splines)?
The outer sleeve rides on the splines that look to be missing...keeps the sleeve from rocking around much.

-
Back