A833 Tranny fluid

-
Contact Passon, you are going to get everyone’s two cents and people are passionate about their opinions.

I used 90wt way back as far as 1978.
Alot has changed since then with quality and additives as well.as synthetic like Redline, Royal Purple and other brands, and would go synthetic in what ever viscosity you do end up with.
I would ask Passion,

The first choice in the service manual is Dexron ATF. But as others have mentioned, contacting Passon is your best bet.

Jamie Passon recommends standard 90W gear lube, stay away from ATF/Dextron.
I have been running that in my Passon Hemi OD...

Just my $0.02...

The first choice in the service manual is Dexron ATF.
I respect your opinion, Rusty; but not quite right. It's mentioned, but not the first choice- and only for "extremely cold climates".
Right from the four speed section of the '68 FSM:
1681101246997.png

But people will run what they want to run, it's all fine with me.
As far as synthetics go, I don't like them in the 833s though- they tend to weep past the side gasket (which you DON'T want to run sealer on). But that's all factory spec- if you want to maintain any kind of warranty coverage, find out and stick with what Passon recommends- and get it in writing.

I respect your opinion, Rusty; but not quite right. It's mentioned, but not the first choice- and only for "extremely cold climates".
Right from the four speed section of the '68 FSM:
View attachment 1716075672

But people will run what they want to run, it's all fine with me.
As far as synthetics go, I don't like them in the 833s though- they tend to weep past the side gasket (which you DON'T want to run sealer on). But that's all factory spec- if you want to maintain any kind of warranty coverage, find out and stick with what Passon recommends- and get it in writing.
That's why I recommended calling Passon. I'm unfamiliar with all the metals he uses. As for ATF, I run it in my A903 and it almost shifts itself. That's from 64 though.

This is what I use but the op should ask Passion to be sure what he recommends. Just curious, gears or a whole transmission from Passion. Is there warranty that might be voided if you used the wrong stuff?

pennzoil syncromesh.jpg

-
Back