-
Status
Not open for further replies.

Douglas Boryscka

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Contact seller
I am looking to upgrade to a 5 speed. So I am interested in selling my factory 4 speed. A833 transmission from 1968. Numbers matching to my dart gts with a 340. Does have some leaks at the shift shafts and cover. But easily fixed with a little work and very few parts. Comes with Lakewood bellhouse. Just replaced z bar and all clutch linkage from restoration parts source. It does have the inland shifter handle. And that is mounted to the hurst shifter mechanism. The shift rods are new except reverse. It has been “repaired” with a funky weld job. New replacement is too long. Has low mileage borg and beck style clutch. Not sure what type flywheel until it is removed. Stock type I would think. I would also include driveshaft with new u-joints. All bolts and brackets including crossmember will be included. So everything you would need to convert from auto to manual without the shift boot or clutch pedal assembly. Would like $1800 as it is in great shape and pretty much ready to install.

C31A3F4B-15AE-45E6-9182-2E10ACC23F05.jpeg

DUDE!!!! Don't sell your numbers matching transmission, especially if your motor is the numbers matching motor for your car. Instead of buying a 5 speed, just simply buy the conversion kit from Jamie Passon to make your numbers matching 833 have a 4th gear that is an overdrive ratio.
My apologies to TMM....but dang! :BangHead:

I will agree with the other members but especially it’s it’s A 340 “GTS” with the numbers engine.
You have one of those situations where your car is worth more stock and OEM / NOS parts vs if it was a 6 cylinder dart with a 5.7-6.4 and 5/6 speed.
I’ve been in that boat with olds 442s before and it was always the non valuable cars that were perfect or great original condition and the big block 4 speeds or w30/w31s that were missing parts of drivetrain or rotted to death. Child vs granny driving and storage, lol, one parks on side of the road one puts it in the garage and drives 3-7 mile day.

I would try to save your trans it will definitely be worth more with that trans to a future buyer even if you swap to a modern trans and keep that stored and covered. But your car your choice and money is nice but darn she’s been bangin gears in that dart for 54 years I would let her be or retire her to your retirement facility, basement or covered in garage.

Wish you the best either way
J R

I have to agree with everyone else here too. The question remains, WHY? The 833 is already and overdrive 3 speed. Unless you simply like shifting more gears. Personally I have say I doubt you will find any 5 speed that can match the strength of that 833 ! I knew a guy in Bakersfield that had a 71 340 Cuda, not a clone! It had 3.91' posi and the only difference between a 1st and 3rd gear burn out was the length of the rubber marks on the road. It's like guys running powerglides at the strip, 1 shift is a lot faster than 2 or more. But then the auto trans car is usually a bit faster in the times anyway. Manuals are harder on drivetrains too. All pointless in this discussion as it comes to the value of the car in the end. To you or the next guy if you sell it. If you must do the swap, keep the OE trans just in case the next owner would like it in original trim. Even if you don't choose to sell it in you life time. Things change.

I have to agree with everyone else here too. The question remains, WHY? The 833 is already and overdrive 3 speed. Unless you simply like shifting more gears. Personally I have say I doubt you will find any 5 speed that can match the strength of that 833 ! I knew a guy in Bakersfield that had a 71 340 Cuda, not a clone! It had 3.91' posi and the only difference between a 1st and 3rd gear burn out was the length of the rubber marks on the road. It's like guys running powerglides at the strip, 1 shift is a lot faster than 2 or more. But then the auto trans car is usually a bit faster in the times anyway. Manuals are harder on drivetrains too. All pointless in this discussion as it comes to the value of the car in the end. To you or the next guy if you sell it. If you must do the swap, keep the OE trans just in case the next owner would like it in original trim. Even if you don't choose to sell it in you life time. Things change.
Not all 833 are OD. Most of the early car ones are direct 4th. 1:1

the OD would be an option and I believe his shifter location would be same at third was swapped for OD and 4th became 3rd if I member correctly

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back