A904...does it need a rebuild?

-

adamsredlines

'69 Dart
Reaction score
The trans in my Duster doesnt go into 3rd or reverse.
The guy I bought it from said if you REALLY wind out 2nd...it will EVENTUALLY go into 3rd but you gotta be haulin some serious azz.

Do those symptoms indicate an adjustment that can be made, or is a rebuild necessary? I really wanna get it drivable but plan on the 727 swap soon. I'm trying to get it ready for an event so I need to take the cheaper route. Any help is appreciated.

I saw this kit in another thread IF it needs a rebuild.

http://www.northernautoparts.com/ProductModelDetail.cfm?ProductModelId=9099

try adjusting the throttle pressure linkage...aka the kickdown linkage..you want to try to shorten the upper rod....

if it is too far out it can keep the trans from shifting into 3rd...or you have to let off the gas for it to shift...

a simple test is to disconnect the linkage at the carb....drive around block..the trans will shift thru the gear really fast at low speed or rpm....if it goes into 3rd...then the linkage is out of adjustment

but dont leave the linkage disconnect...it will burn up the trans

try adjusting the throttle pressure linkage...aka the kickdown linkage..you want to try to shorten the upper rod....

if it is too far out it can keep the trans from shifting into 3rd...or you have to let off the gas for it to shift...

a simple test is to disconnect the linkage at the carb....drive around block..the trans will shift thru the gear really fast at low speed or rpm....if it goes into 3rd...then the linkage is out of adjustment

but dont leave the linkage disconnect...it will burn up the trans

bingo:cheers::burnout:

If no reverse and 3rd.I suspect front clutches or front clutch seal.
Martin

If you have no 3rd gear or reverse it's a fried front clutch pack. Needs rebuilt. Why do you want to swap to a 727? 904's are plenty capable of handling a lot of power (400+) with very little done to them and they don't have as much drag as a 727 to suck power out of your engine. That means better performance and better gas mileage.

If missing 3rd only then adjusting the throttle pressure linkage.

If you have no 3rd gear or reverse it's a fried front clutch pack. Needs rebuilt. Why do you want to swap to a 727? 904's are plenty capable of handling a lot of power (400+) with very little done to them and they don't have as much drag as a 727 to suck power out of your engine. That means better performance and better gas mileage.

Because I've got a performance rebuilt 727 with a good stall already on the stroker thats going in my Duster, and I'm shooting for well over 400hp. I just wanna get it driving for now for an event thats coming up.

-
Back