A904 Hard 1-2 Shift and Reverse

-
It prob is the vb...bt chk tht frnt bnd 1st. I just checked out a piece of property that was under the jurisdiction of the Bureau of Land Management...took me a while to figure that tla out...

Last edited:
What do you mean, "Points need to be changed"?? Don't mess around with used points. Points are the first thing to check in an old motor. New points are the first thing to install if there's any type of problem in an old motor. Better yet, pick up an HEI distributor off ebay for $50.99 free shipping and solve all your ignition problems. 90% of carburetor problems are the points...But I bet that won't solve your harsh 1-2..
I was about to make you happy by changing the points and condenser. Do you think the lobes on the cam are worn out. lots of metal shavings, or should I buy a new distributor?

distributor 024.jpg

distributor 027.jpg

See post #44. I would just take out the points and sandpaper them smooth; set at about the thickness of a matchbook; until your new distributor arrives. Touch the dist cam with a very thin layer of grease; wipe on; wipe off. I wouldn't even waste the money for new points and condenser..You'll need new wires...but the originals will probably pop onto the hei cap for temporary..and then open up your plug gap to .060. When you install the HEI, eliminate the resistor so it gets full 12v.

I didn't read the entire thread but... back in the day people would remove the accumulator spring from the trans as a poor boys shift kit. 1-2 shift is quick/hard, 2-3 is instant also. From park to reverse will BAM! into reverse first time after torque converter had a chance to leak down. The 904 in my 67 was rebuilt in 1984 before I bought the car in 2006. I pretty much knew what the problem was but never went in and looked until 2014 when I needed to replace the selector shaft seal. I dropped pan and valve body and sure enough, no accumulator spring. I did check band adjustment and fecked around with throttle pressure a bit but no adjustment was going to correct it.
I have the spring here now. Plan is car goes to trans shop in late March for overhaul.
Meanwhile what I do at cold start after it has sat for weeks is first shift to neutral and let the torque converter fill completely. From neutral to reverse doesn't hit so hard. The rest of it I have lived with.

I didn't read the entire thread but... back in the day people would remove the accumulator spring from the trans as a poor boys shift kit. 1-2 shift is quick/hard, 2-3 is instant also. From park to reverse will BAM! into reverse first time after torque converter had a chance to leak down. The 904 in my 67 was rebuilt in 1984 before I bought the car in 2006. I pretty much knew what the problem was but never went in and looked until 2014 when I needed to replace the selector shaft seal. I dropped pan and valve body and sure enough, no accumulator spring. I did check band adjustment and fecked around with throttle pressure a bit but no adjustment was going to correct it.
I have the spring here now. Plan is car goes to trans shop in late March for overhaul.
Meanwhile what I do at cold start after it has sat for weeks is first shift to neutral and let the torque converter fill completely. From neutral to reverse doesn't hit so hard. The rest of it I have lived with.
Thanks for that Red. Ya never know what ya got until you tear it down. I hope it will be simple like you say but, hopefully I can adjust things on the outside like all the linkage and bands as has been suggested. And I will do what you say about shifting into neutral 1st to ease the pain of reverse.

-
Back