A904(late) and A998/999 transmission

-

SuperStock

Reaction score
Can anyone please let me know which car late model A904 and A998/999 trans came from?

All I know is they was made in 1980's

I will go to junk yard look for them, but dont know which car has it?

Thank so much!

Can anyone please let me know which car A998/999 came from?

I will go to junk yard look for them, but dont know which car has it?

Thank so much!

????,
a friend of mine has a 1965 Dodge A-990 car. Its also for sale on the Houston craigslist under Mopar. The car has been painted several times and upon featheredging the sailpanels he found SS/A on the green layer of paint.

????,
a friend of mine has a 1965 Dodge A-990 car. Its also for sale on the Houston craigslist under Mopar. The car has been painted several times and upon featheredging the sailpanels he found SS/A on the green layer of paint.

Its A998 or A999 transmission, was told it made by 80's but not sure which car has it

Keep in mind that most, if not all '80's & later 904/988/999 transmissions will be with a lock-up style converter. Many will have a 2.71 low gear but the tip of the input shaft will be machined smooth if it's a lock-up. You can't mix valve bodies and converters between lock-up and regular transmissions.

A little more info:

http://www.allpar.com/mopar/transmissions/identifying-torqueflites.html

http://www.allpar.com/mopar/torqueflite.html
(The "wide ratio" gearset mentioned is 2.71, not 2.54.)

I never worried about the "later" transmissions. I got whatever 904 I could and had my trans builder convert it to the 2.71 low with the appropriate parts from the later transmissions. The parts are available seperately, new and used.

(The "wide ratio" gearset mentioned is 2.71, not 2.54.)

I never worried about the "later" transmissions. I got whatever 904 I could and had my trans builder convert it to the 2.71 low with the appropriate parts from the later transmissions. The parts are available seperately, new and used.

He he, you got me! I have 72 904 high 1st gear ratio:2.54 . I would like to buy a later 904, which I know low gear 2.71 to see if the planet gear set fit my earlier 904.

Anyone does this swap before, how it work?

Actually, all the OEM 727's and 904's have a 2.45 low, not 2.54.

JW Transmissions in Rockledge, FL does mine. But I'm not sure what specific parts need to be swapped over. I do know the gear set comes as an assembly that has to be swapped as a "set". Not sure of any additional parts or work needed. But a competent trans shop/person, especially performance related and/or specializing in Mopars, should know.

The low gear set will help the most if you have a heavy, mildly powered and/or low numerically geared rear end vehicle. It can help give more accelleration from a stop without sacrificing fuel mileage in high gear.

-
Back