A904 Modification

-

circlepilot

Reaction score
I'm modifying my 1965 /6 (OEM) Barracuda, A904 (non lock up) transmission, to accept the larger (post 1967) input shaft (3) and be able to use a higher stall torque converter. I've already had my crankshaft register enlarged to accept the larger torque converter. I have a 69/70 front clutch drum and a 69/70 input shaft. (3) I had been told that all of the "guts" from the original drum would fit the newer drum. Found out that the piston does not. So I got the right (new) piston, (6) but here is the new problem. The conical (plate) spring (7) seems to be too thin (thickness) it sits too deep in it's seat. It sat flush with the top of the seat in the original drum and the snap ring (8) held it snuggly in place. Which brings me to the snap ring (8) problem. The land (the snap ring sits in) on the newer drum measures at .110, but the snap ring measures at about .119, it doesn't even begin to fit and even if it did, it would not touch the conical spring. All of the clutch discs and plates fit just fine. I haven't been able to find any reference to a thicker spring or thinner snap ring.
I'm doing this for two reasons. #1 to maintain the OEM cable shifter. #2 better selection of torque converters. BTW I've put this assembly together but installed the snap ring (13) that contains the clutch disks where the piston snap ring goes (doesn't do much to hold the conical spring against the piston) and installed the piston snap ring in the land ( good fit) that contains the clutch disks. The assembled drum and input shaft drop right in the transmission and fits the front pump.
I'm hoping that the "transmission gurus" here can shed some light on the fit of these parts.
Norm
upload_2021-8-19_22-9-36.png

-
Back