A904 problem

-

KenZ

Reaction score
Happy New Year everyone.

I have a 73 Duster, 318 & A904. Recently started driving the car after it sat for about 6 months. The trans won’t drop down into first gear when you come to a stop. I have to shift to neutral or first gear and then back to drive.
We checked the fluid level and made sure the kick down linkage was working.
Anything else we can check before taking it to a shop?

thanks.

Seems like the governor is sticking. It is in the tail housing which u will have to remove if u want to fix it. Can u handle that job? Kim

You checked the fluid level and made sure the kickdown lever was working? It is 90% the governor sticking; ohya, (might be a shift valve or combo of several) but if it's not at full idling in neutral and the kickdown isn't set exactly right; these things can lower the pressure and contribute to the governor sticking; since you said you move the lever around and it goes from first after that; cuz you are raising the pressure. Fluid level and kd setting by the book, then change fluid and filter. And drain the converter too if at all possible. TYPE F.

Thanks for the replies. I’ve rebuilt a couple of trans,
so yeah, I could probably do it. But, I’m getting lazy as I’ve gotten older so I’ll probably have someone else do it. Lol!
The rear seal is leaking, so I can have that fixed at the same time.
Thanks again,
Ken

-
Back