A904 problem

-

Steve77

Reaction score
I have a 1970 Dart with a 360 and A904. The transmission shifts great but for some reason when I put it in park the car rolls like it’s in neutral. Any ideas what it could be?

The parking pawl is not engaging. You're probably going to have to pull the pan and maybe the valve body, but it should be pretty obvious what is happening with it.

The parking pawl is not engaging. You're probably going to have to pull the pan and maybe the valve body, but it should be pretty obvious what is happening with it.
I was thinking that could be the problem. I’ll pull it part next week and see what’s going on. Thanks for the feedback!

Check your linkage adjustment first. (easy first)

Do you hear any noise when it does not go into park and rolls?

As far as I know the trans is stock. When the car is idling I can hear a noise coming from the transmission. I’m thinking maybe the parking pawl is touching the gear in the tailshaft causing the noise?

As far as I know the trans is stock. When the car is idling I can hear a noise coming from the transmission. I’m thinking maybe the parking pawl is touching the gear in the tailshaft causing the noise?
A noise in park?

Maybe somebody put a valve body in from a 727. Didn't switch out the park rod.
that’s a “it ain’t gonna fit” moment…..
think we’d have to “assume” that it did work, and now it’s not so I’d bet dropping the pan will reveal chapter 2 of this story.

Oh, it'll fit. But the nub on the end of the rod won't come far enough forward to engage the park pawl.

I would check the bushings in the linkage and the shift linkage adjustment FIRST.

if the linkage is out of adjustment so that the shifter doesn't quite get the trans in Park (shift leaver can't go any further) it will act that way.

I once was a passenger in a car that was misadjusted the other way. After driving for 200 miles at 65 mph, the driver said he thought that there was a problem with the car, that is seemed to be geared really low (high numerically). I reached over and put the shifter in the neutral location and the car lept forward as it shifted into third gear...

Well it was the shifter linkage! I removed the linkage and visually saw the shift shaft move, I then turned the drive shaft and click the parking pawl engaged! Thanks everyone for the tips!

-
Back