a904 Problems

-

jpeshelman

Reaction score
This was first an occasional problem, now the car wont move......As soon as you put the car in gear and give it any throttle it will stall out like its tight. The car will idle fine sitting and you can put it in gear with your fott on the brake, but it seems to load the enigne so hard and stall it out. When i purchased the car, they said the torque converter was bad. I drove the car up on the car trailer and around my house for a couple months before this problem came up again. I dropped the transmission pan and checked to see if the filter was clogged or if any debri was in the pan....nothing. I have since pulled the torque converter and transmission....torque converter tested out fine...does anyone have any idea what can be wrong with the transmission?!?!
It will do it any forward or reverse gear....any help would be greatly appreciated!!

When it stalls out, does the car try to go (forward or backwards) for a second? Like the TC is locking up?

I had a ford truck TC locking up randomly. Felt like you let out the clutch at idle and the truck would jump forward for a sec and kill the motor.

yeah it does go forward or backward a little bit before it stalls, i thoguht it was the torque converter....but the shop i was going to order one at tested my old oneand said its perfectly fine.....i dont know what to do...

"As soon as you put the car in gear and give it any throttle it will stall out like its tight"

This is a highly important statement in the diagnosis.
It idles in gear but dies when you give it gas it falls flat???
It's not the trans, but more likley a fuel/air delivery problem.

PS. That converter could lock up solid after the car is running already in gear, but it would act like you dropped the clutch with a stickshift. (but it doesn't do that)
It dies out when you give it gas.
This could be as simple as an accelerator pump issue or even a weak coil. (spark blowout)

It's not the trans.

i know the load has to do with it.....but i really didn't think it was fuel related considering it didn't do it all the time and when it does drive, it seems the engine was strong.....maybe I overlooked something

"i know the load has to do with it"

Exactly.
Thats why it does'nt do it in park or neutral.

The engine is stalling out under load.
For what reason we don't know yet.

This was first an occasional problem, now the car wont move......As soon as you put the car in gear and give it any throttle it will stall out like its tight. The car will idle fine sitting and you can put it in gear with your fott on the brake, but it seems to load the enigne so hard and stall it out.

This isn't quite clear. Are you saying it will idle when you drop it in gear and stalls when you give it some throttle or are you saying as soon as you drop it in gear it stalls?

If it idles in gear and stalls when you give it throttle it's an engine problem like TB said (and yes they can rev ok in park/neutral but not in gear cause it takes a lot more fuel to pull the car in gear).

If it stalls as soon as you drop it in gear it's a converter problem (no matter what your shop told you)

Automatic transmission don't cause engines to stall, they aren't like manual's that have a solid clutch. Autos have a fluid turbine connected to the engine that pumps the fluid for the internals.

Automatic transmission don't cause engines to stall, they aren't like manual's that have a solid clutch. Autos have a fluid turbine connected to the engine that pumps the fluid for the internals.

Right. The trans. could be total junk and locked solid but as long as the converter is ok it wouldn't kill it when you dropped it in gear.

This isn't quite clear. Are you saying it will idle when you drop it in gear and stalls when you give it some throttle or are you saying as soon as you drop it in gear it stalls?

If it idles in gear and stalls when you give it throttle it's an engine problem like TB said (and yes they can rev ok in park/neutral but not in gear cause it takes a lot more fuel to pull the car in gear).

If it stalls as soon as you drop it in gear it's a converter problem (no matter what your shop told you)

I was hoping I got those details right when I posted.

And when a convertor locks up solid it's like a manual with no clutch.:D

Does it backfire or "pop" before it dies...

In gear,.. can you feather the throttle, ie .. give it a series of short throttle pumps to get the engine up in RPM.. does it die,, or does the engine "torque up"??

I was wondering if I was the only one thinking valve train condition.

Does it backfire or "pop" before it dies...

In gear,.. can you feather the throttle, ie .. give it a series of short throttle pumps to get the engine up in RPM.. does it die,, or does the engine "torque up"??

ok, well i just dug through all the paperwork i got with this car....it looks like they rebuilt the carb....i found the diagram they used with notes on it......now im wondering if they didn't screw up the carb....it does start really easy but i guess they could of not got it all right

Might you not want to determine if in fact it is a 904c ( Lockup ) ?
What year of 904 are you dealing with?

StrokerScamp's oppinion is one of your best bets from here I think.
He's more up on carb and intake stuff than I am.

I'm leaning towards intake, carb or possibly spark.

Damn it'd be fun to see some of these cars with thier issues in person standing around and havin a brew.

I got a remanufactured carb installed on my /6 once that would stall everytime I gave it gas. I knew it was the carb because that was the only thing that changed. I increased the jet size a little and that seemed to solve it.

haha i hear ya....i've done about everything with a Ford....decided to go with something different and i couldn't go GM......I love the older Mopars, its just i got a basketcase to start of with. Its getting there but still got a little ways to go, was thinking about a V8 swap....it may lead to that so i know what i have and dont have

This might sound stupid but do a "wiggle test "... As long as it will idle in park reach around the distributor area and just start wiggling wires sometime just movement from an engagement will stall out a engine if theres a broken / frayed wire barely hanging on. Same goes for any wiring near the control modules if equipped.
Worth a shot...

-
Back