A904 question

-

6pakattack

Reaction score
Trying to get some input on tranny's that people are running with their /6's !! I've got a couple of options right close to me !!

1.My engine builder also does transmissions
2.JW Transmissions in Rockledge (just up the road from me)
http://www.racewithjw.com/catalog.php
3.Or I've had good luck with TCI Converters,but never one of their Trans

Trying to get some input on tranny's that people are running with their /6's !! I've got a couple of options right close to me !!

1.My engine builder also does transmissions
2.JW Transmissions in Rockledge (just up the road from me)
http://www.racewithjw.com/catalog.php
3.Or I've had good luck with TCI Converters,but never one of their Trans

The guy who built the 904 in my 72 Valiant (supercharged 360 Magnum powered) told me that the 904 is such a simple design that a ring-tailed monkey with one eye closed could build a great 904 in the dark!

That doesn't mean that ~I~ could do it, though, given my mechanical "expertise." :glasses9:

But, 904's really are easy to work on (according to him) and just about anybody who works on transmissions for a liviing can install a shift kit and/or a manual valve body, extra clutch plates or a 5:1 kickdown lever, if you want one.

Not worth agonizing over... hard to make a mistake, here...

Just my 2-cents.

What Bill said is all true, however, if you plan to use the 5.0 kickdoan band, also be aware that you'll need to use the widest band that'll physically fit. Otherwise, you will have a binding problem going into 2nd gear. Most people are happy with the 3.8 or 4.2 lever. The 5.0 was originally designed for the 727s behind the Hemi, after all.

Probably not a big issue with the slant 6, but a bolt in sprag is a good investment since it is a weak link in any torqueflite, 727 or otherwise.

What Bill said is all true, however, if you plan to use the 5.0 kickdoan band, also be aware that you'll need to use the widest band that'll physically fit. Otherwise, you will have a binding problem going into 2nd gear. Most people are happy with the 3.8 or 4.2 lever. The 5.0 was originally designed for the 727s behind the Hemi, after all.

I didn't know that about that 5:1 kickdown lever. Thanks for the info!!!:D

I've been running a 5.0 lever for over 10 years in the Dart with hundreds of runs on it with no problem. On the street I would go 4.2,that is what A&A suggested when I built a back up tranny.Never needed it though.So far....

I've been running a 5.0 lever for over 10 years in the Dart with hundreds of runs on it with no problem. On the street I would go 4.2,that is what A&A suggested when I built a back up tranny.Never needed it though.So far....

It's definitely going to see some STREET USE,but I'm also a firm believer in OVERKILL !!! :D:D

I've been running a 5.0 lever for over 10 years in the Dart with hundreds of runs on it with no problem. On the street I would go 4.2,that is what A&A suggested when I built a back up tranny. Never needed it though.So far....

Well what happens when you don't run the wider band and run the 5.0 lever is, it will actually bind going into 2nd gear. You won't notice it, because the bind feels the same as a hard 1-2 shift. But if you have the 5.0 lever without the wide band, rest assured, it's binding instead of actually giving a correct shift.

yeah...been using the 5.0 lever in my 904s.....

but they are not street driven...

It has all the necessary goodies inside.Race only use.

-
Back