A904 to 360

-

BLOW-DART

Reaction score
If you want to find good answers go to the early A body section here.

here i am. this is what i'm curious about.

i've got this 904 push button in my 64 barracuda which im fairly positive is original but anything is possible. its got a shift kit and a fancy pan. im getting ready to put a 360 in my car and know that i will need to make some changes to mate up the a904.

i have the b&m flex plate for the 360 that has the multiple holes already in it for the different trannys. so im fairly positive it will bolt right up to my 904 but i think i need to balance my torque converter because of the 360.

i have the tranny that used to be behind this 360 in an A100 van. its the short tail shaft (what i always thought was a 727 with a cable shift) not sure if that van tranny is actually a 727 or not. i have a balanced stall speed torque converter on that which im seeing if i can use.

i dont have the car apart so i cant just count the splines and try it but i do have the (727) and it has an input shaft with a smaller diameter set of splines and then a larger. the smaller tip has 19 splines and the larger secondary splines is 27. the bolt circle diameter on this converter from the (727) is 10" which raised some question because from some other forums i thought the 727 had an 11 1/8 bolt circle.

looking for some tips or answeres here if maybe the converter i have will work from what i think is an A100 727 or if i need to find an adapter for the 904 converter's center hub to mate up to the 360 crank.

part number on the torque converter from the 727 is tci-14110(i would love to use this cause i have it and its a stall speed and i dont have the money to just buy a new one!)

do you have the weighted/balanced flex plate from b and m ??? b and m,,makes a balanced flex plate for the early non magnum 360
that would solve ur problems

You can use your '64 transmission complete if you use the special flex plate that B&M makes for an externally balanced 360. The only other item you need is a bushing to go into the end of the crank so you can use the small button convertor that your '64 has. All good used convertors have a stall speed........some are just higher than others. If you need something higher than the '64, you'll need to have one made. The A100 should have a 727 and the convertor from one of those won't fit a 904.

What the other guys said and when you get everything apart is the time to identify it all. I have a 904(998) in my Barracuda and it is plenty strong to go mid 12's. You can always put newer internals in your 64 trans also.

do you have the weighted/balanced flex plate from b and m ??? b and m,,makes a balanced flex plate for the early non magnum 360
that would solve ur problems

fairly positive i do have the balanced flexplate already. I just need to run the number on summit to confirm. anyone know where to find the adapter for the smaller hub thing that sits in the crank(for the 904 converter to the 360 crank)

learned some thing here my self,, i never knew there was an adapter for the early crank register to newer torque converter button,,,

i have a 1987, 904//999 in my street rod and the motor is a 1954 dodge 241 ci red ram hemi,,and the converter fits the crank,,weird....\\so it is the early 64 crank or the 360 thats different??

The adapter ring is for the early 904 torque converter snout, pre 1968, to a post 1968 crank. The early converter snout diameter is around 1.5". In 1968 this changed to approximately 1.8". My 1965 Barracuda had a vibration at highway speeds, especially around 65 mph that no amount of tire balancing would take out. When I pulled the old 318, a 1968 vintage, I discovered that it did not have the spacer. I am also swapping in a 360 at this time. As soon as I get my radiator and driveshaft back, I will be able to see if this cures the vibration.

weird that my 87 904 fits a 1954 crank,,, i may have to pick up a adapter just to have it

If you want to find good answers go to the early A body section here.

here i am. this is what i'm curious about.

i've got this 904 push button in my 64 barracuda which im fairly positive is original but anything is possible. its got a shift kit and a fancy pan. im getting ready to put a 360 in my car and know that i will need to make some changes to mate up the a904.

i have the b&m flex plate for the 360 that has the multiple holes already in it for the different trannys. so im fairly positive it will bolt right up to my 904 but i think i need to balance my torque converter because of the 360.

i have the tranny that used to be behind this 360 in an A100 van. its the short tail shaft (what i always thought was a 727 with a cable shift) not sure if that van tranny is actually a 727 or not. i have a balanced stall speed torque converter on that which im seeing if i can use.

i dont have the car apart so i cant just count the splines and try it but i do have the (727) and it has an input shaft with a smaller diameter set of splines and then a larger. the smaller tip has 19 splines and the larger secondary splines is 27. the bolt circle diameter on this converter from the (727) is 10" which raised some question because from some other forums i thought the 727 had an 11 1/8 bolt circle.

looking for some tips or answeres here if maybe the converter i have will work from what i think is an A100 727 or if i need to find an adapter for the 904 converter's center hub to mate up to the 360 crank.

part number on the torque converter from the 727 is tci-14110(i would love to use this cause i have it and its a stall speed and i dont have the money to just buy a new one!)

If you have the right B&M flex plate for a 360 it is already externally balanced for the 360 (It will have a large notch taken out of about 1/4 of the diameter which removes the weight on that side for balancing) if it does not have the notch it is the wrong flexplate. nothing needs to be done to the torque converter or transmission. you need to contact TCI and confirm you have a 904 10"" convertor (which is correct). do you know the stall rpm of your converter? it should match the performance curve of your cam and the rear end size you are runnuing or it will not perform optimumly. you should contact TCI and find out the applications for the torque converter and contact B&M for the application of the flexplate. just give them the part numbers and they can tell you the applications. There is no need to guess as long as you know you have a 904 transmission (numbers are found on the case). make sure the flexplate is an externally balanced 360 and that the 10" converter is for a 904 (and what stall rpm). if they are both correct it should bolt up just fine, however if the stall rpm is too high or low for your engine it won't launch very well!!! Stall speed is the rpm that the converter has full grip. you can get an idea of this speed by putting the car in drive, holding your foot on the brake, and note the rpm (you'll have to have a tachometer) where the converter grabs and stalls the engine. The stall speed determines the "snap" you get when you launch the car drag racing. It's kinda like how you pop your clutch launching a manual transmission car. if you do not intend to race it, don't worry about it the car should still drive ok.

learned some thing here my self,, i never knew there was an adapter for the early crank register to newer torque converter button,,,

i have a 1987, 904//999 in my street rod and the motor is a 1954 dodge 241 ci red ram hemi,,and the converter fits the crank,,weird....\\so it is the early 64 crank or the 360 thats different??
The only cranks with the small diameter converter hole are the '60-67 slant 6 and the '64-7 273's. If you pull those early engines out and replace it with a '68-up version or a different size early engine (ie. 318) you'll need the bushing to take up the space between the converter hub and the edge of the crank hole or the converter won't be centered. (unless you're really lucky!) The result of not doing this is usually a broken flex plate and/or engine vibration.

The only cranks with the small diameter converter hole are the '60-67 slant 6 and the '64-7 273's. If you pull those early engines out and replace it with a '68-up version or a different size early engine (ie. 318) you'll need the bushing to take up the space between the converter hub and the edge of the crank hole or the converter won't be centered. (unless you're really lucky!) The result of not doing this is usually a broken flex plate and/or engine vibration.

OK, I'm learning stuff here as well.

As far as I know, the engine in my '65 is actually a '67 from what I was told. So really there is no difference as far as the tranny fit goes. I assume that the tranny in my car is still a '65, again it doesn't seem to make a difference. But the 408 is a '92, so I can still use my current tranny as long as I get this bushing?

Please say yes, I'd like to drop the 408 in before I upgrade the tranny and rear end. Just for chits and giggles. It might make me break in the engine and cam easier if I'm afraid of blowing up the rear end. :-D

.....The result of not doing this is usually a broken flex plate and/or engine vibration....
Yup, I broke mine mysteriously and now I know why. The 360's were balanced as a unit with the torque convertor so if you dont have the original convertor, youll need the B&M and a neutral convertor from any motor other than a 360 or a late cast crank 340. 904's have a squarish pan with a corner cut off, 727 has a square pan with a little extra on a corner.

If you have the right B&M flex plate for a 360 it is already externally balanced for the 360 (It will have a large notch taken out of about 1/4 of the diameter which removes the weight on that side for balancing) if it does not have the notch it is the wrong flexplate. nothing needs to be done to the torque converter or transmission. you need to contact TCI and confirm you have a 904 10"" convertor (which is correct). do you know the stall rpm of your converter? it should match the performance curve of your cam and the rear end size you are runnuing or it will not perform optimumly. you should contact TCI and find out the applications for the torque converter and contact B&M for the application of the flexplate. just give them the part numbers and they can tell you the applications. There is no need to guess as long as you know you have a 904 transmission (numbers are found on the case). make sure the flexplate is an externally balanced 360 and that the 10" converter is for a 904 (and what stall rpm). if they are both correct it should bolt up just fine, however if the stall rpm is too high or low for your engine it won't launch very well!!! Stall speed is the rpm that the converter has full grip. you can get an idea of this speed by putting the car in drive, holding your foot on the brake, and note the rpm (you'll have to have a tachometer) where the converter grabs and stalls the engine. The stall speed determines the "snap" you get when you launch the car drag racing. It's kinda like how you pop your clutch launching a manual transmission car. if you do not intend to race it, don't worry about it the car should still drive ok.

yes i have the balanced flexplate with the cut out, and i understand the application of a stall speed, just had a 2400 stall on the shelf i was trying to see if it would fit, but sounds like that van tranny is a 727 so that wont work. going to get the adapter for the tc and just leave the stock converter for now.

OK, I'm learning stuff here as well.

As far as I know, the engine in my '65 is actually a '67 from what I was told. So really there is no difference as far as the tranny fit goes. I assume that the tranny in my car is still a '65, again it doesn't seem to make a difference. But the 408 is a '92, so I can still use my current tranny as long as I get this bushing?

Please say yes, I'd like to drop the 408 in before I upgrade the tranny and rear end. Just for chits and giggles. It might make me break in the engine and cam easier if I'm afraid of blowing up the rear end. :-D
Yes, with the bushing and correct flex plate, it will mate to your '65 904 converter.

My 64 barracuda has a 318 in it right now, came in the car when i bought it and i dont think it has the bushing because i do get vibration at certain rpms. have my bushing being shipped tomorrow, one step closer to putting the 360 in.

-
Back