-
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Contact seller
UPDATED WITH SEVERAL PHOTOS!

Here's something you probably don't see every day. I have for sale an original (meaning unserviced) A904 transmission but with the bell housing for the GM Iron Duke engine.

I purchased this for my Mail Jeep rebuild accidentally. OK, I wasn't aware of the huge difference between this 904 and the (correct) 727 that I needed. Which means that I now have a transmission with no engine to attach to it! As usual, I was told that it was "in running condition" before I got it, but with no engine, I make no guarantees other than "here it is - have fun!"

Bolt_Pattern.jpg

The unit has a long tail/extension housing and the bell casting has the number 738 on it:

Casting_Number.jpg

The numbers on the pan rail show a manufacture date of 08 November, 1983.

Pan_Numbers.jpg

The unit comes complete with the shift linkage and the kickdown linkage. There are cooler lines attached, but they are not worth keeping as the previous owner looks like they did tai chi with them.

I spent $350 on it, looking to let it go for $200 or something close. If you offer $250, I will toss in the torque converter (Fichtel & Sachs - made in West Germany) and a new in bag speedometer cable for this unit.

I'm in the DFW area.

Last edited:
Here's something you probably don't see every day. I have for sale an original (meaning unserviced) A904 transmission but with the bell housing for the GM Iron Duke engine.

I purchased this for my Mail Jeep rebuild accidentally. OK, I wasn't aware of the huge difference between this 904 and the (correct) 727 that I needed. Which means that I now have a transmission with no engine to attach to it!

I believe that this uses the Chevy V-8 bell housing pattern, but I could be totally wrong here. The vintage is probably 1982-4. If you're really interested, I can grab the date code off of the pan edge.

I spent $350 on it, looking to let it go for $200 or something close. I'm in the DFW area.
Pictures as required in the rules.

Yes you need to post pictures. Post the casting numbers as well to help out. There were two different castings. One for the GM engine and one for the AMC four cylinder. They will not interchange if I remember correctly.

Last edited:
The AMC four was 150 ci
The Iron Duke (Pontiac) four was 151 ci
There was also a Chev four 153 ci
All could be considered 2.5 L
The Duke bellhousing pattern was not the same as the "standard" Chev pattern

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back