A904 Transmisson deeper oil pan questions

-

Slantsix64

Reaction score
So my pan is all rusty and wanted to upgrade to a deeper pan with a drain plug. I already have a nice transmission cooler in front of the radiator.

Any real benefits beside a drain plug?

Also I found a extension adapter but it’s says it works for the 727 a518 transmisson, will it work on my a904. Thanks in advance.

I got my deep pan with a extension from Quadratec.com
Part #52118.1000 $64.99 free shipping and shows in stock.
fits 904 or 999. 2 extra quarts of fluid ain't a bad idea.

They take the same filter so the filter extension should work for both. Yes, plenty of benefit to more fluid. More cooling capacity. What's not to like?

Slant six, I have a chrome 904 pan wanting a new home. Are you looking for one? It is nice and an old American made one.

727 pan and 904 are different “if” I read the question right.
Benefits of a deep pan:
*Cooler fluid / more fluid
*Drain plug for easier maintance
*Some come with an 1/8” or 1/4” npt for a trans temp adapter built in.
*The aluminum ones actually strengthen the transmission up even though they are pretty strong to start with.
* they look cool as hell if anyone looks under the car.
Downfalls:
Price
Extra fluid cost (hahahaha)
If your car sits low and you have to go over a speed bump…..

I got my deep pan with a extension from Quadratec.com
Part #52118.1000 $64.99 free shipping and shows in stock.
fits 904 or 999. 2 extra quarts of fluid ain't a bad idea.

They take the same filter so the filter extension should work for both. Yes, plenty of benefit to more fluid. More cooling capacity. What's not to like?

Sounds like ill invest in a better pan! the 904 already has a trans go shift kit.

So my pan is all rusty and wanted to upgrade to a deeper pan with a drain plug. I already have a nice transmission cooler in front of the radiator.

Any real benefits beside a drain plug?

Also I found a extension adapter but it’s says it works for the 727 a518 transmisson, will it work on my a904. Thanks in advance.
If your 904 is 1965 or older (cable shifted) the filter extension might not work. Those transmission had a rear pump, with two holes in the filter. Most of the filter extension only have one hole (no rear pump). You could modify the extension by adding the other hole, if it is a billet extension.
PS: the filter for the early trans is different, also. Just a FYI.

ou could modify the extension by adding the other hole, if it is a billet extension.
Yes,^^^ I have done just that drilling using a hole saw to make the impression for a "O" ring seal.
Then finishing with the proper size for the fluid flow. Worked well on a 64 tranny and using the 2 pump filter.

There seems to be an obsession with filter extensions in deeper pans. An extension is not necessary unless your fluid is splashing around so bad that the pump sucks air; possibly in a 4wd or major g-force racing. Fact is, a filter extension shortens the life of the filter by immersing it down into debris that would normally rest at the bottom of the pan. If you want to add fluid capacity; just add a huge cooler.

There seems to be an obsession with filter extensions in deeper pans. An extension is not necessary unless your fluid is splashing around so bad that the pump sucks air; possibly in a 4wd or major g-force racing. Fact is, a filter extension shortens the life of the filter by immersing it down into debris that would normally rest at the bottom of the pan. If you want to add fluid capacity; just add a huge cooler.
True but it f you have that much debris in the bottom of the pan you will not be worrying about the cost of a filter. Lol!

True, but I like the idea of a drain plug, I flush my transmisson fluid every year. Plus with the shift kit and racing I’m always in that tranny.

True, but I like the idea of a drain plug, I flush my transmisson fluid every year. Plus with the shift kit and racing I’m always in that tranny.

“I’m always in that tranny.“. that last line made me laugh. No judgement- just made me laugh!
sorry- had to. Hahahaha!

If your 904 is 1965 or older (cable shifted) the filter extension might not work. Those transmission had a rear pump, with two holes in the filter. Most of the filter extension only have one hole (no rear pump). You could modify the extension by adding the other hole, if it is a billet extension.
PS: the filter for the early trans is different, also. Just a FYI.
Charlie, this is for my 67 barracuda with a 318, my 64 dart has a four speed.

Hmmmmm. I bought a steel pan with a drain plug and it's not a deep pan, 4 years ago. Can't recall the maker .

It seems to me that the main benefit of the deep pan is to keep the filter from being uncovered during hard accel/ decel/cornering. Without the filter extension, that benefit is not there. IMO, If someone is using a deep pan, a extension is not an "obsession" but a logical addition.

It seems to me that the main benefit of the deep pan is to keep the filter from being uncovered during hard accel/ decel/cornering. Without the filter extension, that benefit is not there. IMO, If someone is using a deep pan, a extension is not an "obsession" but a logical addition.
I was always under the impression, the deep pan and extension, was so you could run the fluid level (still same number of qts) lower, and reduce windage, and "churning"/foaming.

this statement is right up there with your statement that a torque flite will burn up idling with only 8 qts of fluid or the one where your friends 302 would not rev high enough with a 5500 vert to even move around the yard .

I was always under the impression, the deep pan and extension, was so you could run the fluid level (still same number of qts) lower, and reduce windage, and "churning"/foaming.
That saying to run a deep pan oil or tranny is just stupid to run less oil/atf. That’s the same effect as running ur stock pan 2 quarts low. Would u do that? Ofcourse not. Kim

This car runs a deep tranny pan with out the extension. Gets checked every 500 runs. 9.03 was its best run. Next year it will be mid 8s. Sadly it now has a glide in it. Kim

3F4F442D-59FE-43A5-AB39-663C44ED985B.jpeg

AFCC0F92-6B7D-4734-A361-72E92EBB407E.jpeg

Last edited:
That saying to run a deep pan oil or tranny is just stupid to run less oil/atf. That’s the same effect as running ur stock pan 2 quarts low. Would u do that? Ofcourse not. Kim
Same number of quarts in the trans, as the stock pan, will result in the level being further away from the rotating parts.
PS: stock eliminator, with stock sized oil pan, baffels, windage tray, ran 3 qts of 10 wt oil, "back in the day". Never had a problem. Of course, did maintance on a very frequent basis. Car ran about 1 sec under the national record/index, when there was no such thing as "breaking out". With 101 hp every little bit helps.

Last edited:
Some folks just don't understand that a transmission is a hydraulic unit that needs fluid to operate AND lubricate. 8 quarts in a trans that takes 11 will suck air into the pump and NOT LUBRICATE bushings. The pump bushing will burn in about one minute; taking the converter with it. Same as a motor with the oil light on; it's gonna blow. If you had an oil light on a transmission that needed 11 to be full, but you only put in 8; the oil light would be on and you would shut it off. Sorta like rocket science.. for some people..
AND you could have an oil pan a foot deep and run the same amount of fluid as a stock pan; as long as you had an extension that reached the fluid in the bottom of the pan; you would be about 12" below the full mark and it would be just fine. Oh and there are 302s out there that won't rev 5500 rpm. Doesn't google still work??

-
Back