AAW harness with CD box and the plugs do not fire...HELP!!

-

Claudius

Reaction score
When the rebuilt engine was put into my '68 Barracuda, the original harness was still in place and it was adapted by the mechanic to work with the MSD 6425 CD ignition box.
I carefully removed the front and under dash harnesses as part of a complete replacement of the car's wiring. The kit I am working with is the American Autowire 510603, specifically for Mopar A-bodies.
Long story short, the engine cranks perfectly but there is zero spark at the plugs. I have done the following:
1) Verified that +12V is feeding the ignition box when the key is turned to the ON position. The heavy red and black wires from the ignition box are tied directly to the battery terminals.
2) Cleaned up the ground cable interface points on the block and where they connect onto the body.
3) Performed a successful spark test of the coil as per the troubleshooting instructions of the MSD ignition box. (I am using the two purple and green wire pair that connects to the +/- terminals of the MSD coil.) This seems to indicate that the coil is good.
4) I tried replacing the magnetic pickup in the distributor (Summit Racing 850027) because an ohm meter measurement and conversation with Summit tech suggested that the resistance was out of specification. The resistance has not changed.

There is no spark from any of the plugs when I crank the engine. Any suggestions? I am certain the 6425 box is fine because its red light blinks as per specification when power is applied to it from the key.
Any input or suggestions are appreciated, whether in the forum or by PM.

The most prolific problem in these cases is the ignition power wiring

You have only one switched "run" power wire from the ign switch, out into the engine bay, to supply the ignition system, voltage regulator, and alternator field, and depending, a couple other things

THAT POWER GOES DEAD when you twist the key to crank. This is known as "ign1" I call it "run" and most years it is dark blue

FOR STARTING there is a bypass circuit that originally came off a contact on the ignition switch, "IGN2" brown, went through the firewall and connected to the coil+ side of the ballast. THAT WIRE is only how during cranking, and is the ONLY power available for ignition power during cranking.

So with an ignition system and no ballast, you must connect the IGN1 and IGN2 together

-
Back