About to buy a torque converter which would work the best?

-

71blueduster

Reaction score
71 Duster
340 30 over
x heads
XE268H cam
Torker 340 intake
eddy 750 performer carb
727 auto
8-1/4 with 3.91 gears

I was looking at the Mopar 175K piece which stalls at approximatly 2500 rpm for $200

but I've also found

11" from Dynamic converters stalls at approximatly 2600-3200 rpm for $259
11" from Coan stalls 2600-3200 for $289

which one would be a good choice or should I look somewhere else. I'd like to keep in the about the same price as the ones I listed.

I think any of them will work good for you. I think the Coan or Dynamic would be a better choice. The Turbo Action "tight" 10" would work well also.

I think swapping to a Performer RPM intake will make a big differance also.

I'll most likely be getting an RPM air gap intake in the future but for now I'm using the torker which I got along with the set of 10.5 to 1 forged pistons for $200 so it was basically free.

cant beat that price.

A good converter will make a huge differance.

I would look in to a 10" if you need more then 2500 rpms stall. Your best bet is too call a few converter companies like PTC and get a recomendation.

I've been running a 10" behind my 340. It works pretty good but was alittle loose with the 3.23 gear. Not very good throttle response around town but it would pull pretty good when you get on it.

I Just switched from the 727 and 10" to a 904 with a low first gear and a tight 8" converter. Between that and the 3.91s it should move pretty good.

Check out the 9.5" PTC. Get in touch with John Cope @ Cope Racing Transmissions. $425 shipped. It's supposed to stall at 3500-4000, depending on the motor it's behind.

Well I ordered my converter. A 10" tight Turbo Action from Summit Racing. It'll be here next week. I can't wait to get it in so I can finally start up my car and drive it. Still need to do a few other things first but the paint job will have to wait until next this fall or next spring when I can get enough money.

We used to run a tight 10" Turbo Action convertor in my sons Dart behing the mild 383 it used to have. Great convertor as Turbo Action is first class stuff. It ran 12.30's with it and it drove like a stock convertor. You will like it. Now we run a Dynamic 9.5 and it also works great behind the 400. Ron

You'll be amazed at what a good converter will do. I just finished installing my T/A tight 8". Works great.

The questio that has not been answered is what are you doing with the car.In percentage,how much is highway,how much is street,how much is drag racing,then pick a convertor to suite all the intended uses and know that not all situation will be ideal but will be average to very good,Mrmopartech

-
Back