AC compressor brackets

-

dewsky

1975 Duster 360
Reaction score
Ok, guys.....dont know if this is the right place to ask this, so here it goes. 1975 Duster....original /6 auto....now a 360 4 speed (I didn't do it). Originally it had factory air, but everything under the hood has been removed. I am wanting to put the AC back on the car, but do not have the brackets to mount the AC Compressor. What I was wondering is, would the brackets from a 318 fit the front of a 360? I have found a bunch of late 80's /early 90's 318's with the bracketry still intact and was thinking of using the compressor and brackets to mount it all up with. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Are you going to a Chrysler compressor, or are you going to use a Sanden?

I modified ac brackets off a middle 80's Dodge Pickup to fit a Sanden shorty on my 360. It was fairly basic. You will need handtools and a welder to do this.
Rod

IMG_4450.JPG

Are you going to a Chrysler compressor, or are you going to use a Sanden?
Was thinking of using the Chrysler Compressor off the donor engine when I get ready......basically "scavenge" the underhood parts from a late 80's/early 90's truck.

I found that the issue with using the Dodge pickup AC compressor was it wouldn't work with my Edelbrock LD340 manifold. The location of the thermostat housing varies with aftermarket manifolds.

I used a 1990 dodge pickup ac bracket and compressor, had to change to 1990 alternator also, the alternator from the 71 was too large and would not line up to put the double v belt, make sure to get the bracket that has 2 holes at the back of the alternator, it has 3 holes at front to bolt to front of water pump, i have a high rise intake and was worried that bracket would not be high enough to get back 2 bolts in rear of compressor, but it fit great, worst problem is working around oil dipstick, the front bracket and rear bracket has a brace just above the fuel pump and the oil dipstick fits between the rear and front bracket and you have to decide which side of the brace you want the dipstick to come up on.

The Chrysler C-181 compressor is similar to a Sanden internally, and a good choice if it fits your intake manifold. Downsides are it has rather funky plumbing connections and is less available than a Sanden. Many companies make Sanden brackets for a small-block. If a normal Sanden body (H14 or H15) will hit your intake, a shortie (SD7H13 for Civics, etc) may fit (1" shorter), though might need spacers to fit the rear ears to the brackets. You can also get various rear heads for $20 on ebay to relocate the plumbing. Google Images hot rods for many ideas.

-
Back