AC compressor replaced, too much oil?

-

Longgone

John/68 Barracuda & Dart
Reaction score
I recently replaced the compressor and dryer/receiver on my truck. A rep for the company that supplied the compressor said that it was not filled with oil but merely enough to wet the parts. When charging the system I installed five ounces of oil in combination with just under 2 pounds of refrigerant as recommended by the factory. After initially holding a vacuum and passing a leak test, about two days later I notice oil at one of the couplings. Long story short I replaced an O-ring and added about another ounce of oil just to be on the safe side. The system was cooling but just not like it once did so I started checking and rechecking everything including calling back the compressor supplier. The second time I called, the rep tells me the compressors are shipped fully oiled. If this is the case I may have 11 ounces of oil in a 5 ounce system. Short of taking each component off and flushing it with solvent is there any way I can remove the excess oil?

Remove the reciver dryer and drain. A good portion of the oil will sit there. all of the comp that I know come fully charged with oil. What year of vehicle/

Seems to me you have painted yourself into a corner and then spilled the bucket. That is, you have no idea how much oil is really in the system. There could have been a considerable amount of oil from the old charge remaining.

I say the only real way to "know" is to drain and flush the system and start over.

I haven't kept up with current practice, as we used to be able to use R11 (low pressure) for flushing systems, and that was 'a while' back.

Sounds like you are on the right track, though. Serious "over oiling" will degrade cooling performance.

Remove the reciver dryer and drain. A good portion of the oil will sit there. all of the comp that I know come fully charged with oil. What year of vehicle/

What he said. Excess oil will hang in the bottom of the drier. Just make sure when you drain it put it right back in order to minmize the amount of time it is exposed to open air. Vacuum it down and then charge it up. You did vacuum it down the first time right? If not get an electric vacuum pump from Harbor Freight and have at it.

-
Back