AC Condenser Size

-

Hemirunner

Reaction score
i realize that larger is better but I’m space limited. What’s the smallest AC condenser you’ve run with good results?

ya, since your already concerned about the size, figure out how much space everything else is going to need, and go from there

That’s pretty much what I was getting everywhere. Nobody seems to comment on minimum area.

Why look at it like that? You want maximum area, so measure the opening in the radiator support and put the biggest one in there that'll fit. Doing it the other way is overthinking it.

Why look at it like that? You want maximum area, so measure the opening in the radiator support and put the biggest one in there that'll fit. Doing it the other way is overthinking it.
I have two turbo charge tubes in that area. I was looking to see what could be used in the space available without reworking the existing tubes.

I have two turbo charge tubes in that area. I was looking to see what could be used in the space available without reworking the existing tubes.

And this is information you originally left out for what purpose?

And this is information you originally left out for what purpose?
The available space is irrelevant when talking about the minimum size condenser needed to support a given size evaporator in an AC system. If I could find that information, I can determine if my space limitations will allow effective cooling.

The available space is irrelevant when talking about the minimum size condenser needed to support a given size evaporator in an AC system. If I could find that information, I can determine if my space limitations will allow effective cooling.
and that's where i figured you were going, but that implies you won't bother with A/C if you can't get an adequate assurance what you install will work. problem is what you consider "works" is going to be personal opinion. the A/C in my dart works great, up to ~105' outside, sitting in normal, around here, traffic. but after that it won't cool the whole interior. part of the problem is no tint on the windows and no insulation on the roof. i could do more to make it better, but for now, it "works". all the other things you may or may not do are going to affect it too. if you know what company A/C your using i would guess whatever size condenser they sell with the kit is what they consider minimum.

and that's where i figured you were going, but that implies you won't bother with A/C if you can't get an adequate assurance what you install will work. problem is what you consider "works" is going to be personal opinion. the A/C in my dart works great, up to ~105' outside, sitting in normal, around here, traffic. but after that it won't cool the whole interior. part of the problem is no tint on the windows and no insulation on the roof. i could do more to make it better, but for now, it "works". all the other things you may or may not do are going to affect it too. if you know what company A/C your using i would guess whatever size condenser they sell with the kit is what they consider minimum.
I’m committed to the AC as I already own everything but the condenser. It’s a street rod kit from Classic Auto Air and we’ve discussed all factors you’ve mentioned and I know it’s not going to freeze me out of the car but will provide relief and lower humidity. Their response on condenser was the same as everyone else’s “the largest you can fit”. I’m after something a little more scientific lol. I’ve attached photos of my dilemma. I just don’t physically have room to space the radiator back nor mount a condenser in front of it. I may have to rework all the cold side turbo plumbing.
0BD22F31-4BDE-4E68-97B4-6B07E3074535.jpeg
5735510F-3D90-452C-8B38-C2904EAEAA58.jpeg

Ok. Color me gone then if you think asking for help and omitting information is "irrelevant". Good luck, though!

One thing that most don't think of:
There is no rule that says that you are limited to one large condenser.
I have done installs using two smaller condensers, located in different locations.
Also physical size alone, isn't the only consideration, it is BTU of heat rejection. Air flow and temp differential also are important. Good air flow, in a cooler area, means you can use a physically smaller cond.

Last edited:
One thing that most don't think of:
There is no rule that says that you are limited to one large condenser.
I have done installs using two smaller condensers, located in different locations.
Also physical size alone, isn't the only consideration, it is BTU of heat rejection. Air flow and temp differential also are important. Good air flow, in a cooler area, means you can use a physically smaller cond.
I’ve considered this as well as remote mounting with fan assist. I’m open to suggestions as to locations you’ve used with success.

Front wheel wells with puller fans attached. Just not sure how this would work as the incoming line is -8 and the outgoing is -6, so then you’ll need to figure out to get -6 to -8 for the other side.

Front wheel wells with puller fans attached. Just not sure how this would work as the incoming line is -8 and the outgoing is -6, so then you’ll need to figure out to get -6 to -8 for the other side.
The left side has a dry sump oil tank in it so that leaves the right side. There seems to be no easy way out on this one, lol.

Any room under the car?

you have a back seat? lots of room behind the front seats if you get creative, again, because the whole car looks like a pretty creative build

That could get loud, definitely doable.

Another would be a deeper / thicker condenser, or series two of them. I don't keep up anymore, and never was "up" on automotive AC. "Specs" seem to be hard to come by for condenser performance. And, R12 can use a smaller condenser "per performance" than R134A.

-
Back