AC Restoration and converting to R134A

-

sbh126

Reaction score
I recently purchased a 70 Dart Swinger with factory AC. Everything appears to be intact but the V2 compressor was removed for some reason but did come with the car. What do I need to do to get the AC system functioning and converted to R134A? I've read that the compressor oil needs to be changed to be compatible with R134A and the system needs to be flushed. Is that all there is or am I missing something? Should I leak check the system before put the 134 in? any advice is appreciated.

PAG 100/150 oil is recommended as well as a complete flush of old system. Just want to get the old oil out. retrofit kit is usually just 2 hose fitting adapters and a few stickers. If you can pull a vacuum and then walk away for a few and then come back and it has not moved, you should be pretty good.

The PAG 100 oil is universal oil. Also, if you want it to cool to its full potential, put a new drier on it. The desiccant gets full of moisture and if you use the old drier, it will never cool as good as it could. If it was mine, I would go ahead and convert it to a Sanden compressor and be done with it. That RV2 will not last long even if you think you got "all" of the old oil out, you simply cannot. Lastly, they are not designed to withstand the pressures required of R134A in order to cool, so that's another strike against them. No way in the world would I use one.

Ester oil! Not PAG. Last I looked, Ester is readily available at most auto parts stores. Ester is compatible with 134a and traces of mineral oil. I'd convert to the Sanden compressor like Rusty said, they draw less HP than the RV2.

Having said that, if the RV2 is in good shape, and you can get everything to go with it - gaskets, hoses, etc, you could run it. Some get an o-ring and a gasket at the flanges. They are quite tough, and usually have no issues if the oil level wasn't ran low. Replace the filter-dryer. If you have a friend the the commercial HVAC business, have them pressure test the system with nitrogen.

Last edited:
I converted my 74 duster to 134a ,put on Sanden compressor , oil came with it , I like the fact that the compressor was lighter and much smaller than the v2, one minor problem was the bracket, i used a 1990 dodge pickup ac bracket for new compressor, then that meant the alternator had to be changed, so i put new alternator on, and replaced the drier, lots of arguments on line that 134a could escape thru the hoses on a R12 conversion, Sanden compressor hose were different fittings at compressor as well, so i went to Napa Auto parts, and had new hoses made as well. Sounds like a lot of money but with all the changes it was about $450, which if you plan on keeping your car, its worth the investment, peace of mind that everything is new and a lot cleaner look than that big v2 compressor blocking the view of your entire motor.

-
Back