acceleration put into perspective

-

HotLines

Realist - Free Thinker
Reaction score
* One Top Fuel dragster 500 cubic inch Hemi engine makes more horsepower than the first 4 rows at the Daytona 500.

* Under full throttle, a dragster engine consumes 11.2 gallons of nitromethane per second; a fully loaded 747 consumes jet fuel at the same rate with 25% less energy being produced.

* A stock Dodge Hemi V8 engine cannot produce enough power to drive the dragster supercharger.

* With 3000 CFM of air being rammed in by the supercharger on overdrive, the fuel mixture is compressed into a near-solid form before ignition. Cylinders run on the verge of hydraulic lock at full throttle.

* At the stoichiometric 1.7:1 air/fuel mixture for nitromethane the flame front temperature measures 7050 degrees F.

* Nitromethane burns yellow. The spectacular white flame seen above the stacks at night is raw burning hydrogen, dissociated from atmospheric water vapor by the searing exhaust gases.

* Dual magnetos supply 44 amps to each spark plug. This is the output of an arc welder in each cylinder.

* Spark plug electrodes are totally consumed during a pass. After 1/2 way, the engine is dieseling from compression plus the glow of exhaust valves at 1400 degrees F. The engine can only be shut down by cutting the fuel flow.

* If spark momentarily fails early in the run, unburned nitro builds up in the affected cylinders and then explodes with sufficient force to blow cylinder heads off the block in pieces or split the block in half.

* In order to exceed 300 mph in 4.5 seconds dragsters must accelerate an average of over 4G's. In order to reach 200 mph well before half-track, the launch acceleration approaches 8G's.

* Dragsters reach over 300 miles per hour before you have completed reading this sentence.

* Top Fuel Engines turn approximately 540 revolutions from light to light!

* Including the burnout the engine must only survive 900 revolutions under load.

* The redline is actually quite high at 9500rpm.

* The Bottom Line; Assuming all the equipment is paid off, the crew worked for free, & for once, NOTHING
BLOWS UP, each run costs an estimated US$1,000.00 per second.

The current Top Fuel dragster elapsed time record is 4.441 seconds for the quarter mile (10/05/03, Tony Schumacher). The top speed record is 333.00 mph. (533 km/h) as measured over the last 66' of the run (09/28/03 Doug Kalitta).
Putting all of this into perspective: You are driving the average $140,000 Lingenfelter "twin-turbo" powered Corvette Z06. Over a mile up the road, a Top Fuel dragster is staged & ready to launch down a quarter mile strip as you pass. You have the advantage of a flying start. You run the 'Vette hard up through the gears & blast across the starting line & past the dragster at an honest 200 mph. The 'tree' goes green for both of you at that moment.

The dragster launches & starts after you. You keep your foot down hard, but you hear an incredibly brutal whine that sears your eardrums & within 3 seconds the dragster catches & passes you. He beats you to the finish line, a quarter mile away from where you just passed him. Think about it, from a standing start, the dragster had spotted you 200 mph & not only caught, but nearly blasted you off the road when he passed you within a mere 1320 foot long race course.

That, is acceleration

I've always liked this one...but being the science geek that I am, I have to say that original author didn’t check his math. The Corvette was not passed after 3 seconds. If you assume a typical “great pass” by a fuel car of 4.50 second (~0.08 seconds slower that Schumachers record) it would be a tie at the stripe (Looking at 4 decimal places and assuming the Corvette held 200 mph with no further acceleration); however, this is probably not the case. I predict that the Corvette would win, due in part to it accelerating some over the course of 4.5 seconds (albeit not much)….AND that the reaction time of a “excellent” driver is in the 0.058 range for a fuel car (which is not captured in the ET)…now you have the dragster loosing by a car length….ish…

If you wanted to assume that the fuel car was on a record pass that would tie Schumacher’s record, and that the fuel car started at the exact time as the Corvette (excluding the reaction time)….then the fuel car would pass the Corvette ~21 feet before the finish line. This would give the fuel car an ET of 4.428 seconds and the Corvette an ET of 4.500 seconds.

Yup, you can say it…I’m a dork and I think too much :-D

That's why I'm going to the Lucas Oil Nats in August.Like was said,you have to experience it at least once,you cannot imagine it!

This made me laff on 2 counts.

First, your not the only one thinking this. While I'm not a great math wiz or a "Geek", I love the fact of checking facts and modifing them a little bit to wonder a what if. At this speed, or that speed etc.....

2nd, I once gave a similar question to the crew at work. The answer is actualy impossible to answer because of to many unknown variables to the question, but it was great watching about 25 guys argue.

It went something like above, just slower.

What if you gave the other car a 100 mph start at the line, just like above. Could you catch him at the other end if your car is a solid 10 sec. flat car and by how much is the margin of victory and by whom? How fast do you need to go to win?

It was a total argument going on with others really starting to get into it claiming there right, your wrong all the while I sit back jaw dropped at the site of those honestly beileveing there right. (Yea, it was great)

I've always liked this one...but being the science geek that I am, I have to say that original author didn’t check his math. The Corvette was not passed after 3 seconds. If you assume a typical “great pass” by a fuel car of 4.50 second (~0.08 seconds slower that Schumachers record) it would be a tie at the stripe (Looking at 4 decimal places and assuming the Corvette held 200 mph with no further acceleration); however, this is probably not the case. I predict that the Corvette would win, due in part to it accelerating some over the course of 4.5 seconds (albeit not much)….AND that the reaction time of a “excellent” driver is in the 0.058 range for a fuel car (which is not captured in the ET)…now you have the dragster loosing by a car length….ish…

If you wanted to assume that the fuel car was on a record pass that would tie Schumacher’s record, and that the fuel car started at the exact time as the Corvette (excluding the reaction time)….then the fuel car would pass the Corvette ~21 feet before the finish line. This would give the fuel car an ET of 4.428 seconds and the Corvette an ET of 4.500 seconds.

Yup, you can say it…I’m a dork and I think too much :-D

Speaking of checking math.... I don't seem to remember seeing 55gallon drums for fuel tanks on those things... which would give 5 seconds of WOT... Hmmm, fire engine, burnout, stage, run, they'd need more than a 55gal. drum.
Just sayin'...

One and 1/2 gallons of fuel per second during the run.

10 to 12 gallons from burn-out till end of track.

And in the run against the 200 mph Vette, the dragster would be going 130 mph faster.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGTbQuhhluY&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGTbQuhhluY&feature=related[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ws6gseaIIJU"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ws6gseaIIJU[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yKA1N2wyoM&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yKA1N2wyoM&feature=related[/ame]

one top fuel cylinder makes more power than a complete nascar engine!and i agree they COULD make it better on tv,but they won't.

-
Back