Accessory key position

-

4 Barrel

Reaction score
A little problem here with my '70 Dart. The ignition key refuses to rotate to the accessory position. No problem rotating it to the ignition on position. This has been an off and on problem for the last month ( same ignition key-original to the car ). I have tried moving the wheel ( original to car ) to various positions but no luck.Thanks

sounds like the key is worn out. It could be the switch. To find out you would need to remove the lock cylinder and operate the switch directly.

Redfish has got it right.To verify that the key turns both ways you can remove the ignition.Either the key or the ignition or both are worn.A locksmith should be able to make you a key that works better or you can purchase a new ignition switch.If you want you can try puffing a little powdered graphite in the keyway first.That is only a temporary fix.If you are using the original key chances are good that it is worn down.Proper solution is a new ignition switch.If I lived next to you I could fix it for ya but,well,look at my location,lol.8) I could give you the long explanation but I will leave it at that.8)

It's more involved than anyone can type out from memory. You'll need the proceedure from a service manual. Invest in one.

-
Back