ACDelco Spark Plugs. WARNING!

-

scatpackbee

Reaction score
Went to gap a new set of ACDelco spark plugs on my wife's Audi and the ground electrode falls off on the very first plug just as I moved it.

Looks like the ground electrode was held on with super glue!

Funny thing is the box says Made In USA but the customs paper states China as country of origin.

Been gapping plugs for 40 years, never seen this before....

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Last edited:
I worked for Cadillac for 10 years and GM says DO NOT ADJUST THE GAP if the gap is off get another plug. I think the platinum plugs have a hardened ground strap and has something to do with the welding the platinum disc on them.

WTF? That's bad news. Hope that was a one of chance. Good thing you checked the gap. Most people would have just screwed them in and called it a day.

I worked for Cadillac for 10 years and GM says DO NOT ADJUST THE GAP if the gap is off get another plug. I think the platinum plugs have a hardened ground strap and has something to do with the welding the platinum disc on them.
I worked for GMC/Buick for 3 years and don't remember that one?

Plug box says set gap per vehicle specifications.

Plug box says set gap per vehicle specifications.

That may be because of aftermarket, but the ones we got for the Northstar never needed gaped as far as I could remember

Maybe you just got a bad one

Went to gap a new set of ACDelco spark plugs on my wife's Audi and the ground electrode falls off on the very first plug just as I moved it.

Looks like the ground electrode was held on with super glue!

Funny thing is the box says Made In USA but the customs paper states China as country of origin.

Been gapping plugs for 40 years, never seen this before....

View attachment 1715322656 View attachment 1715322657

How far off was the gap??

I thought ALL AC Delco plugs were Bad! I wouldn't use them in my worst enemies lawn mower.
Plugs is like oil and filters. Every one has different likes and dislikes. Me, I hate Champions, and I like NGK. Used to like autolite, till they started being made in China, and had two (at different times) blow the porcilin out of the shell, from a bad crimp.

Had a champion drop centre electrode. Typically i pull plug, threaded end up to inspect plug. Looked normal. Turned it and electrode closed the gap. Pos plugs.
My thought is mass production.
Demand goes up, quality control goes out the window.

More importantly, what difference does plug brand make?

RRR-
Audi owners are just a very specific car owners. I thought they used NGK plugs. Delco plugs are just off the shelf run of the mill plugs. I don't mean any harm in that question. I realize any plug will fit but it does not mean it is the “right plug.”
Just asking. I’m allowed to do that here right?

Anyone who puts a set of plugs in a car without checking the gap is a fool. Do you really think the box was treated with kid gloves as they was moved & shipped to it's final location before being purchased? I was taught 50 years ago to "ALWAYS" check the gap before installing them.

RRR-
Audi owners are just a very specific car owners. I thought they used NGK plugs. Delco plugs are just off the shelf run of the mill plugs. I don't mean any harm in that question. I realize any plug will fit but it does not mean it is the “right plug.”
Just asking. I’m allowed to do that here right?

Well sure. No Delco plugs are not just run of the mill plugs. Neither is any of the rest. Here is the fact about plug brands. As long as the plug matches the original intended heat range, thread size, length and fitment, brand does not matter. Consider this. There are only about three factories in the world that make spark plugs. From there, the plugs are branded or rebranded. So, chances are someone's beloved NGK was made by the same factory that makes Champion plugs. People will argue over plug brand until the end of time, but that's the facts, jack.

Spark plugs without the protective sleeve certainly have more chance of being set to that manufacturer's spec, - not the vehicle spec.
Any plugs without the sleeve (like AC) stand the chance of - the case, - the box, - then sleeve of plugs being dropped at any of these transfers.
Without the protective sleeve, the plug DO move in the jacket enuff to close the gap on impacts.
I've seen it many times while checking the gap of every plug I've installed, including the sleeved plugs.
Anything less is an "*** umption", or gamble, certainly not professional.

Last edited:
Around 0.010" off.

Unless they were under .035 I'd have left them alone. I've screwed with gaps for years and years. If you have decent wires and the cap and rotor ain't junk, most stuff can run .045-.055 without issues.

With power adders and such, and since most guys refuse to run other than an MSD 6 box, you need to close the gap up as the power goes up. I've had to run some stuff as close as .020 to make them run. And the customer still wouldn't update his box.

You cannot (not supposed to) gap certain plugs, ie platinum or iridium. The small chip of rare earth metal that is at the tip of the plug will get damaged by the gapping procedure as it usually involves wedging a piece of metal in there to open up the gap or even measure it. I like NGK U-grooves. They just have a nice fit and finish to them and never had a bad one.

-
Back