Adams 71 Dart

-
Man Adam you really make me want to paint them now! LOL
I'd hate to hear what you think of my black engine bay!
Honest I didn't do it it was like that when I got it!

Had some time to play with the car this week so I finished cleaning up the motor and dropped it in place. I used Plasticoat Hemi orange.

002.jpg

003-1.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

The motor is a mild 360 built by Moper. Its a 72 360 block that was remaned by Mopar in the 90s. Dave (Moper) added aComp Cams XE 268H and a set of 302 casting 318 heads that he added 1.88-160 valves to. I believe the ports are stock 318 size.

The heads were shaved a bit to get the compression up to 10:1. I had a stock 71 Thermoquad intake cut down a bit to replace the old Torker Dave was using on it.

I also scored a 72 340, Thermoquad off of ebay a few months ago for $75. The carb looks all most new. Even the plating on the linkage was still good.

The 340 air cleaner was another great score. $100 from a member. I cleaned it up and sprayed it with 2 heavy coats of EastWood wrinkle black. My first didnt work out well. The paint didnt wrinkle and was to shiny.

The second time I set time I heated the grill up to about 150* put down to heavy coats of paint with 3 minutes in between coats and set teh parts on the grill. Covered the grill and let it go for 15 minutes. This worked much better.

006.jpg

007-1.jpg

Thats the original sticker on the air cleaner that I taped off.

Im kinda stuck now. I cant decide what to do exhaust wise. Headers would probably be the best bet but they just wont look right with everything else looking so stock. I really want to run a set of 68-70 Hi-Po manifolds but at $400 or so a pair I just cant afford them right now.

I also cant find were I put the proportioning valve which needs to go in before the exhaust and clutch linkage. Ofcoarse I still need the brake line set for the car.

I started putting the tranny in but I'm missing 1 pressure plate bolt. I also cant find were I put the starter.

Adam, I think I may have an extra pressure plate - let me know if you can not find yours and I will look.
No Marcus tonight .... rain just won't stop. Bummer.
Kory

Kory, I have the pressure plate, Im just missing one of the pressure plate to fly wheel bolts.

Car looks fantastic, Adam! When do I get to see it; July 18th?
I love red cars man!

George

I'll push it out for all to see n the 18th. I have a thing for red cars also.

Adam, if I have a set of exhaust manifolds in front of me, how do I know what they were from and if they will work for what you are looking at? I took a set off of my 318 and I know they were not the originals. The previous owner thought they were some type of high perf set, but I don't have a clue as to what they are off of.

Hey Adam, Nice job start to finish. I know it's getting close, but are you planning on driving it to Carlisle this year? The pictures are great, but I want to see it in person.
:cheers:

Hey Adam, Nice job start to finish. I know it's getting close, but are you planning on driving it to Carlisle this year? The pictures are great, but I want to see it in person.
:cheers:

No, I wont be going to carlise. The car will probably not see the road till next year. Thanks !

Adam, if I have a set of exhaust manifolds in front of me, how do I know what they were from and if they will work for what you are looking at? I took a set off of my 318 and I know they were not the originals. The previous owner thought they were some type of high perf set, but I don't have a clue as to what they are off of.

There should be a casting number on the manifolds.

Ordered some pressure plate bolts and a clutch alignment tool. Hope fully durring the week I can get the tranny in.

Cant put the driver side header in till I get a starter and positive cable.

Got a set of rallye center caps for the front but they turned out to be SBP and I need BBP caps.

Head liner bows should be here soon. Then I can pretty much finish the interior. Just need seat covers and front kick panels but they arent necessary to get it on the road.

The big parts I still need our a windshield and front and rear window gaskets, 70 rear bumper, bezels and lenses, engine and light harnesses and an exhaust system. Its getting there !!!

I got my front and rear window gaskets from Steele Rubber Products and a new windshield from a local company. The gaskets were 122.00 each and the windshield 190.00 installed. The glass guy just raved about how nice and soft the gaskets were, made the whole job go easier and in fact he didn't rope in the rear window because he didn't think he could get back there so he installed it from the outside. The quality of the gasket made that possible. He did a great job too.

Headliner is in !! Not a bad job at all. Im glad I didnt pay to have it done when it only took 3 beers worth of time to do. Its got a few wrinkles but Im sure they will work there way out. Now I can finish up the interior.

Still need a pair of black kick panels, cant find what I did with mine, A glove box door and the heater/radio trim I broke, Oops.

I'd like to thank Waggin for sending me a set of bows !!

I wasn't too keen on your project when you started, but you have done a fantastic job Adam! Your car looks awesome.

LOL, Neither was my wife, Her words were, it looks like a piece of ****,. LOL

It come a long way in the last few months. By the way, That rim I got from you for the Scamp has made its way to the rear of the Dart ! Thanks !

adam i have black kick panels if you want em! mind you, they were originally green just painted with black plastic paint...they turned out good....let me know if your interested

I have a glove box door, needs paint, no bezel around the lock, no wood trim. You can have it if you want, just send me a PM.

Car looks outstanding!!

As far as proportioning valve location if you order a rear brake line set for a disc brake car there will be a short piece of line approximately 12" off the distribution block going to the rear lines. That is where the factory put the proportioning valve; about 12" back on the frame rail. Then the rest of the rear line hooks to the proportioning valve and runs to the rear of the car. So if you get the brake line set first then you will know where the proportioning valve is mounted. Most likely a hole will already be in the frame. Just need a self tapping bolt.

If you look closely at this picture you can see the line off the distribution block to the proportioning valve. While I run an adjustable valve it is in the stock location and lines are not modified.

Assembled4.jpg

This thing is all most an entire car again !

I still need a rear bumper and a few clips for the rocker trim and to install the front and rear glass then the out side will be pretty much finished with the exception of a few emblems.

dart001-1.jpg

dart002-1.jpg

dart003.jpg

dart007.jpg

Engine compartment all most done. Still need a battery hold down and cables, an engine harness, Clutch fan and exhaust. I also managed to lose the starter.

dart004-1.jpg

dart005.jpg

dart006.jpg

Interior looks pretty goo, I ordered a cheap black bench seat cover for now. Still need a glove box door and radio/heater trim. I would like to at least replace the wood trim pieces with plane silver parts if not add a Rallye dash at some point. I also installed the glass in the doors but I still needs sweeps and the weather stripping that sits on the front edge of the glass Paddock wants $160 for it so Im in no rush to buy it. I'll just leave the windows rolled down for now. LOL

dart008.jpg

dart009.jpg

dart012.jpg

Not much to the trunk. I need all the spare tire hardware, the board and the Jack I have isnt correct but I got the sticker and trunk mat, LOL

dart011.jpg

-
Back