Adapting a /6 Z bar to a big block

-

DusTed74

Reaction score
I have a Z bar from a 6 cylinder car (a-body) and I'm planning on modifying it to use on my big block Demon.
Has anyone here ever done this? Or does anyone here have a big block Z bar that you could give me some measurements off of?

Thanks in advance................Ted

When you figure this out, I would love a pm or some info on this process, as I plan on using my stock /6 zbar on big block for my 63 dart.

Dosen't someone here have a big block z bar that can give us some measurements?

There's been discussion on here about modifying a /6 z bar. I don't remember if it was for a bb or sb, though. Did you search the forum? bigblockdart.com might be the place to find out.

Pretty sure the tube length is longer on a slant 6. Like maybe an 1" longer? Can't say for certain, don't remember where I heard that. Nor can I say that the arms are different.

I would say, bolt the bell and associated z-bar parts in, and then take some measurements. Cut it down, and then see how the arms work.

Best I've got right now.

I have made a sketch of the dimensions for a big block z-bar. I took my original z-bar and measured the portions that are original. I then took a picture from Brewers and enlarged it to full size and measured with the computer the dog leg portion. I cut that off over 20 years ago when I altered my big block z-bar. As soon as I figure out how to make the scanned in attachement smaller, I will post what I got. I belive it will be close enough to work great. I don't want to spend 90$ on a repro when I can make this work for free.
Rod

I started off with a 318 4-speed F-body car 30 years ago and dropped in a big block. This is how I made up the z-bar. As long as you have a big block bell with two mounting pads on the side, it works. It was easy to fab. Still works fine.

Greg

Attachments

• volare_z_bar.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 232
Rod thats a great idea to blow up a picture to full size.
I'm with you when it comes to buying parts made oversea's.
Please post whatever you can.

Thanks................Ted

Here is the sketch I came up with. I am guessing the angle between the bottom leg and top leg is about 140 degrees. This is the best I can come up with without having an unmolested original. The top number that is cut off is 1 5/16".
Rod

Attachments

• email z-bar.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 226
I know a member here , regularly cuts about an 1 1/2 inces or so off a /6 z-bar to work on a small block.. hope it helps..

Rod thats perfect. Thanks so much!
I realize that not all of the folks on line here have the facilities that are available to some of us such as lathes mills and welders. Thats where the the repro market comes in.
For me,I have alot of fun millin' drillin' cuttin' & weldin' and making an obsolete part (that I desperatly need)out of one that someone threw away.
Thanks for all of your help guys!!!!
Ted

Well it's been a while since I started this but I'm just about finished with my Z bar. I used Rods measurements and just simplified it a bit.
My intention is to put 2 mounting locations on the bottom for the push rod that goes to the fork. One will be in the stock location and another in the location thats called out in the Mopar Chassis manual.

Attachments

• DSC03569.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 152
  • DSC03570.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 145
Here it is mocked up on the car.

Attachments

• DSC03564.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 147
Wow,
that is really nice. Glad I was able to help.

I used my measurements to make mine and it turned out really nice, looks stock. Cost was free and I had a blast making it.

Here it is mocked up on the car.

One of the guys at work took your drawing and made a 3-d CAD print out of it.
Same here. It was free and fun to make.
Here are some shots of the adaptor bracket I had to make in order for the ball stud bracket to line up while using the Lakewood bell.

Ted

Attachments

• DSC03566.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 153
  • DSC03567.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 141
-
Back