Add hood scoop vs new fiberglass hood?

-

ramhi4x

Reaction score
Any pros and cons of trying to save money by adding a hood scoop vs buying a new fiberglass hood?

Thanks!

i would say buying a glass hood would be easier... may be cheaper to buy and install a scoop on a metal hood but that can be a real pain to get to look good.. molding it in and all.. then they tend to crack over time... i hear nothing but good things about aar fiberglass and their hoods.

i would say buying a glass hood would be easier... may be cheaper to buy and install a scoop on a metal hood but that can be a real pain to get to look good.. molding it in and all.. then they tend to crack over time... i hear nothing but good things about aar fiberglass and their hoods.

I've got to agree, I've seen some pretty scabby jobs from guys that have tried to blend in a fibreglass 6 pack scoop onto a standard metal hood. The guy really needs to know how to work it to keep it from cracking around the seam since the air pressure, when driving, is trying to tear it off. And yes AAR is hard to beat though a little expensive.

Terry

Not to mention the weight savings. Carbon fibre if you can find it, is lighter than fibre glass.

And yes AAR is hard to beat though a little expensive.

i agree.. but what is your time worth... if you mold one in or buy a cheaper hood then your gonna spend pleanty of your time working to get it right....

Can we see a pic of that aar hood? thanks walt:angry4:

here's one on my 71 demon, needless to say I had to get it painted to match.

P7280002 (Small).JPG

Okay, end of story, new AAR fiberglass hood it is!

New dilemma now, BOLT ON vs LIFT OFF please?

lol... it never ends does it... i prefer a bolt on myself but i think its just personal preference.

Bolt on ...make sure you get your hood springs redone so you won't break the hood. If you need a contact to get them done , let me know.

Definetly bolt on - I have lift off and is a real pain everytime I take it off, having to find somewhere safe for the hood

-
Back