ADDCO Rear Sway Bar 3/4” or 7/8” Diameter?

-

scatpackbee

Reaction score
Thinking about installing a rear sway bar on my ‘69 Dart Swinger 340 that has the factory 7/8” diameter factory front sway bar and PST 1.03” diameter torsion bars.

I’m trying to decide between the 3/4” or 7/8” diameter ADDCO rear sway bar.

I’ve read that the 7/8” diameter rear sway bar might be overkill for a cruiser.

Any and opinions and experience appreciated.

Chit if I know. I went for the 7/8 rear bar for Vixen. I haven't installed it yet. She does have the front one on.

I had/have the 3/4” Addco on my:

68 Dart conv with stock front sway bar, .87" torsion bars, stock leaf springs

68 cuda with stock front sway bar '94-2000 and then 1 1/8” front sway bar 2000-2011. But 1.00” front torsion bars with stock leaf spring.

if think it helped the Dart more.

I would not go 7/8” rear with stock front sway and torsion bars.

I don’t think I’d do 7/8” unless I was autocrossing with sticky wide tires and had big front sway bar and really big torsion bars

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies guys.

It's kind of funny that the ADDCO 3/4" rear sway-bar is priced higher than the 7/8" bar.

Probably the pricier 3/4" bar is WAY more popular?

Maybe it's just me but I can only find 7/8 rear bars. Is there a link for the 3/4?

I installed the Addco 3/4 inch rear sway bar on my 65 Dart wagon. The front suspension is not yet installed but will consist if a Helwig 1 & 1/4 (ir maybe it’s 1 &1/8) front sway bar with stock U & LCAs. The Uppers will have the Moog offsrt bushings. With 4 wheel disc brakes, i think it ought to handle (and stop) pretty decent

I'll ask, since nobody else has, what leaf-spring set are You running? If You get too stiff in the rear vs frt., it's gonna be tail-happy, & old worn eye bushings can make it dangerously worse. Steering the car around while You feel like You have to chase it, not enjoyable. Some have success racing w/o them with the frt bar & the right T-bar/leaf balance. I've run 1.25"/.75" combo w/.870 bars & stk leaves with 2 added to each stack. Very comfortable & competent.

… snip…. I've run 1.25"/.75" combo w/.870 bars & stk leaves with 2 added to each stack. Very comfortable & competent.

I have stock front sway bar, .87 t-bar, stock original rear leaf, and a 3/4 Addco rear bar in my 68 Dart. It’s nice for aggressive street and highway on-ramps.

Stock cars were designed to plow in the front for the lowest common denominator driver (16 year old idiots, 90 year old grandma’s, distracted drivers, etc…)

2 additional leaf can add a significant amount of roll resistance themselves.

there are lots of variables for each person’s car and situation.

I like the adjustable Hellwig or Hotchkis rear bars.

Understeering is always safer. Almost ways better to stiffen the front first and/or more.
When the tail starts slapping, there's generally no saving it - except sometimes in an autocross or track if there is enough room.
All it takes is a little less tractions and a little dynamic weight shift. Downhill curve in the wet is classic.
Don't ask me how I first learned this.

Randy Pobst thinks neutral is the best for racing. I'll go with that. The difference is for racing adjustments can be made for track and conditions.

Hey guys,

Thanks to everyone who responded.

Based on all of your opinion and experience I've decided to go with the 3/4 inch diameter rear bar.

ADDCO also recommended the 3/4 bar with the stock front sway bar as well.

Thanks again.

There are way too many variables for anyone to make educated advice remotely.

What you need to do is figure out what the car is doing now.

If it’s an understeer situation, you can benefit from a rear bar. If it’s oversteering now, a rear bar will make it worse. A little understeer is easier to deal with than oversteer.

Since mismatched front/rear tire sizes and rake are popular, I’d be careful adding a rear bar.

-
Back