Adding fresh air vents

-

Jamakin

Reaction score
How hard is it to add the fresh air vents?

My car is a 74 duster with ac and it had no vents. I got the heater box from a none AC 74 and it had the fresh air vents.

I know my car doesn't have the holes cut in the cowl to let the air flow but is there any other issues with this?

I didn't want to go just cutting holes and then find out there was a difference in the cowl and now i'm s.o.l

Thanks for any help

I did not know of any differences in A/C vs non A/C cars in the vent hole area. Both should get there air from the same place for the heater I would think.

i'm referring to the vents that are by the kick panels with the doors on them. I want to add those my car did not have them and the holes were never cut out of the cowl section

im not following you, do u have pictures? never seen any vents by the kick pannels.

im not following you, do u have pictures? never seen any vents by the kick pannels.

Sure you have. Big black box buy your feet on both pass and driver side.

I want to see some pics too. Never hered of a vent delet car before. Would be cool to see. I can get you some pics of my duster tonight if you want. It is all torne apart right now and I can get you some good pics of the holes. I would think your car should have them though if it had A/C and a heater it need to be able to draw air in from some where.

Attachments

• vent box.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 174
Cutting the hole would be the easy part but you will also need to fabricate a 2" tall ring that would go up in to the cowl and make it water tight to keep the water that gets in the vents on the cowl from running straight down in to the car. If you really want to do this then finding some donar material wouold be your best bet.

Sure you have. Big black box buy your feet on both pass and driver side.

I want to see some pics too. Never hered of a vent delet car before. Would be cool to see. I can get you some pics of my duster tonight if you want. It is all torne apart right now and I can get you some good pics of the holes. I would think your car should have them though if it had A/C and a heater it need to be able to draw air in from some where.

i'm not sure about the passenger side, I assume there is some sort of air inlet for the heater/ac

How ever i know for a fact the drivers side never had a vent and the hole wasn't cut. I can reach my hand up to where the vent would mount and its solid sheet metal.

I will try to get some pictures, but it might be a few days

Thanks for the help everyone. I actually still have the parts car the vents/heater box came from so I might just go ahead and cut the parts out of the cowl incase i need them.

That situation is very interesting. As far as I can determine, the heater box, as well as the air conditioner, draws fresh air from the right side duct. Could the car have originally been a heater-delete option car with an air conditioning option? Maybe the car was ordered for a very warm climate.

I got you some pics but I could not find the cord to hook the camera up to the computer. I will look for it tonight when I get home.

That situation is very interesting. As far as I can determine, the heater box, as well as the air conditioner, draws fresh air from the right side duct. Could the car have originally been a heater-delete option car with an air conditioning option? Maybe the car was ordered for a very warm climate.

The car is def a factory Heat/AC car, It has all the factory parts and you can tell the wiring is factory.

When I got the car it came from the Virgina/North Carolina border so it was from a warm climate.

I am assuming that the pass. side will be fine to swap with the non ac heater box (minus the motor hole being larger) what I am worried about is adding the vent on the drivers side.

My parts car clearly has some structure up inside the hole that is directing air into the box and probably keeping water from entering it. I'm assuming that I have a 50/50 chance of that structure being inside my cowl and I wont know until its to late.....

I was able to look, the pass side will work. Everything looks the same in the cowl, so minus the holes for the fan not being the same side I should be all set.

The drivers side at the moment wont work. Since the hole wasn't cut from the factory the inner structure in the cowl is not there. You can see plain as day in the cowl, the 'bucket' the would prevent water from flowing down into the vent isn't there.

Now i can cut that out of my parts car however there is no easy way to add that into the inside of the cowl. I could actually slip the piece in from the inside of the car and weld it but thats going to be real risky to get welded nice and sealed.....so we'll see

I'm going to cut the parts off the parts car just incase i feel adventurous down the road. I will however will be using the heat only heater box, i think that will be an easy mod

-
Back