Adding horse power

-

TheTecher

Evan the jeeper.
Reaction score
About how much will an edelbrock torker with a 600 cfm carb add in horsepower and torque.

That's really the wrong manifold for a stock setup and you'll have a issues with mismatched ports plus the runners and plenum is just to large for a stock engine.

I'd try to find a stock cast iron manifold, a Wieand action plus or a eddy performer for that application.

The carb cfm is good but the intake is a 2500 - 6500 rpm window with very little torque below it's operating window. Even with the correct equipment with it. The intake is more of a fun street or mild strip intake at best. These days, it has become old tech. I'd use it only for hood clearance issues and a on the cheap hot rod build. You really need a loose converter and numericaly high gear ratios with a decent sized cam for that intake.

For a 318, I'd look for a;

LD4B or Performer from Edelbrock or a Weiand Action plus for a stock 318.

Wrong. But hey, do what you wanna do. This way, you'll learn the old school way like alot of us "Pre-internet" guys did and then you can say, "Been there done that" and know not only why, but how it actually feels to drive it that way and the pains it takes to get it as good as possible.

Wrong. But hey, do what you wanna do. This way, you'll learn the old school way like alot of us "Pre-internet" guys did and then you can say, "Been there done that" and know not only why, but how it actually feels to drive it that way and the pains it takes to get it as good as possible.

Ahh yes, those were the days........

I think you should put the damn thing on, and see what happens! I mean, whats a set of gaskets, really. I cant imagine it having that much less power on a stock 318, LOL, but the mileage? BOOOHAHAHAHAAAAAA!!!!!

I put a dual quad tunel ram on my truck once. LOL, it was a built out of parts for fun flat top 360, with an old Wolverine blue racer (remember those?) 284/484, 112C-line cam, headers, and TWO 600 Edelbrocks.

It worked GREAT! LOL Just couldn't drive it in the rain, humid weather under like 60F, or the carbs would ice up so bad it would wash the cylinders with gas, and the throttle would get sticky......

Then I put a 318 together with std pistons, .030 overbore, and no oil rings, trying for less drag..... Ran pretty good, and you could follow the "bread crumb" oil spot trail home, so getting lost wasn't an issue. Kept the mosquito's at bay too.......

Then, I was like 12, I had a Torino, and I decided to turn the rear end upside down instead of moving the perches to jack the back up...... :angry7:

Once took the divider between the two ports out of a old offey 360# manifold, and all the way past the pinch on a set of 675 heads. Ran interesting.... and real hard to start, LOL.....

Yes, there are a lot of us here that have tried things that didn't work, me probably being more outside the box than others, so when someone like Rumble, (Who I agree with 97.335% of he time) says, no, it's not going to work very good...... It probably wont.

Now, if it was one of those old cool OFFEY small runner manifolds, it would actually make some neat torque, at like 3500rpm. But it ain't.

Thats all............

You know, we didn't ask if it is one of those torker 318 manifolds, they actually run real well with a mild cam........ maybe we put the cart before the horse....

Ain't that the truth? But yet, the torker works real nice on semi mild 400 B motors.....

What's good for the goose isn't always good for the gander....

I ran a TorkerII 340 for a long time. If you ignore the engines build below 3000 rpm at a min. and pump it up alot, it's a OK manifold. Otherwise the dual plane will rock it and badly kick it's butt.

For the price/performance level, it was better to get a Holley Strip Dom/ or the MP - M1.

Ok I wont use it, Ill just stick with a performer intake. Sorry about all the hassel guys I kinda new to this.

Thanks
Evan

No hassle, it's just the wrong manifold for you.

But like I said, it's just gaskets, wouldnt hurt to put it on, try it, and get back to us. Only way to know for sure.....

Then, when someone says this again, you can say, "I didn that once".....

I totally agree with the above 2 posts.

Absoultely no hassle and what the hell, try it out.

I wasn't trying to be sarcastic or a stuff shirt about it. Just a I told ya so, but try it anyway. I wasn't joking. Try it out. You can probably re-use the gaskets anyway.
Theres a lot to be said for "Being there and have done that."

Bwaaahaaaahaaaa!

Funny no one commented about my upside down rear end, I am proud of that one....

I gotta ask....did it still go forward as normal or did it have 3 gears in reverse and one in forward?

On another hote I had a Torker II 340 on my 500 hp 360 and it was the best intake. I tried a few others and the Torker work better than them all even if it was by a couple of hundredths.

I gotta ask....did it still go forward as normal or did it have 3 gears in reverse and one in forward?
I'd think it would still move in the same direction. The pinion bearings probably wouldn't be too happy after a few miles.

I'll put it this way, it would of made one hell of a demo-derby car! Your neck would get stiff at highway speed, and the steering was a bit touchy.........

-
Back