Adjustable electric fan thermostat question ?

-

Brooks James

VET, CPT, Huey Medevac Pilot
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I got this for my Dart.
The fins are too close together on the radiator, Im afraid if i force it i will puncture a tube, I was thinking about mounting it on top of the fins where they meet the tank on the side.
Ideas, comments

1105211912.jpg

I mounted mine inside the upper radiator hose on the radiator inlet. The hose will still seal because the copper line is so thin.

I mounted mine inside the upper radiator hose on the radiator inlet. The hose will still seal because the copper line is so thin.
Great idea !!! So, Im guessing the upper hose is where the coolant is the hottest ??

I never have liked any fan controller at all. I take that back. There's ONE style I will use and that's a simple "on off" switch like a temp sender. Beyond that, IMO, fan controllers are a failure waiting to happen. I want my fan either ON or OFF, with "NOT MUCH" more than some kinda simple switch...and a relay.

That works! If you just "gotta" have one, that's a good place for it.

I never have liked any fan controller at all. I take that back. There's ONE style I will use and that's a simple "on off" switch like a temp sender. Beyond that, IMO, fan controllers are a failure waiting to happen. I want my fan either ON or OFF, with "NOT MUCH" more than some kinda simple switch...and a relay.
I had two fans mounted on my hot rod radiator. One set to turn on at 180 and the other turned on at 195 (if it ever got that hot) with separate relays and adjustable reostats. With two fans there's always a back up if one fails.

I had two fans mounted on my hot rod radiator. One set to turn on at 180 and the other turned on at 195 (if it ever got that hot) with separate relays and adjustable reostats. With two fans there's always a back up if one fails.
I don't disagree, but you can use the thermostat I never will. LOL It's like pickled beets. I an't doin it. LMAO

You can always wire in a switch override.

Best of both worlds

35 years ago i had an electric fan on my 63 econoline with a 289 v8 swap. The controler had a bulb and tube like the one in photo 1. It also came with a rubber shim with a slot in it. You put the rubber shim on the upper rad inlet tube then put the bulb tube in the slot then slid the hose on over it all, then hose clamp. No leakage

You could always do like the modern cars, and have a lug added to your rad and put a thermostat switch in it

Sound good , im a firm believer in redundancy and overkill. I have 2 fans also and will use. Ur rheostst ideia. I have. 2 fuel pumps, an ac condensor for a trans cooler, deep trans pan, biggest radiator i could cram in, hi vol water pump, small seperate fuel tank FOR Reserve, to keep full of race fuel and potassium for the purple flame thrower, overkill on wire gsuge size etc. I plan on some long road trips and dont want to be at the mercy of a rip off artists

In the trunk i will keep a distributor, plugs, carb, beltz, coolant, oil, alternator, jack with stands, tools etc. I take my Boy Scout Motto seriously to "Be Prepared"

Sound good , im a firm believer in redundancy and overkill. I have 2 fans also and will use. Ur rheostst ideia. I have. 2 fuel pumps, an ac condensor for a trans cooler, deep trans pan, biggest radiator i could cram in, hi vol water pump, small seperate fuel tank FOR Reserve, to keep full of race fuel and potassium for the purple flame thrower, overkill on wire gsuge size etc. I plan on some long road trips and dont want to be at the mercy of a rip off artists

In the trunk i will keep a distributor, plugs, carb, beltz, coolant, oil, alternator, jack with stands, tools etc. I take my Boy Scout Motto seriously to "Be Prepared"
You forgot the "HOT CHICK" in the passenger's seat!!:rofl::poke::steering::steering::steering:

I agree , what Im really after is the ability to mostly control the temp to see where it markes the most power, I researched This and the answers were all over the place. So Im going to find out for myself. Plus Im all about Almost free horsepower, the thermistat kit was $13

I agree , what Im really after is the ability to mostly control the temp to see where it markes the most power, I researched This and the answers were all over the place. So Im going to find out for myself. Plus Im all about Almost free horsepower, the thermistat kit was $13
As cool as you can get it to run. Get that first and then tune to that temperature. That's how it's done.

-
Back