adjustable rockers

-

ir3333

Reaction score
do the shafts for 273 adjustable rockers differ from the shafts used for stock stamped rockers?

do the shafts for 273 adjustable rockers differ from the shafts used for stock stamped rockers?

Don't believe so. I have two sets of 273's and three sets of the stamped steel rockers and the shafts all appear to be the same.

I don't know if all of them do, but my 273 adjustable rocker arm shafts had banana shaped oiling grooves. I never remember seeing any shafts for stock stamped rockers with them. So I'd have to say they differ.

I have two sets of the 273's, one set has the banana grooves one set has the standard shaft.

The standard shafts will work.

The standard shafts will work.

X2. I apologize; I took his question literally. I didn't realize he was questioning diameter, length, or maybe bolt hole position. Small block LA rocker arm shafts are interchangeable.

I think all the 273 adjustable came with banana grooved shafts to oil the rocker evenly to keep from galling both the shaft and rockers. Standard shafts will work, but for a daily driver I would find the grooved shafts.

The ductile iron stock adjustables need the banana groove shafts. How do I know this? When I was building my motor I called Hamburgers, which had moved to NC?, and ordered shafts. They sent me new chrome shafts with no grooves. I figured "heck, they are the 340 experts, who am I to question these". Put em in, ran great, went to a show and something happened, like a popping noise under the hood. Shut it down, looked under the hood, couldn't find anything. Started it back up, oil presssure looked good, Hit the show( got 2nd place) and drove home. Next week, another show, went to do a burn out leaving, wouldn't spin the tires. Drove home and pulled the valve covers, one cup was missing on the #1 pushrod and another 5 or 6 were split and showed overheating. WTF? So if you look at the rocker it gets oil thru the groove and sends it up where if I remember correctly it splashs on the pushrod tip. I put the used banana shafts in and havent had a problem in 15years.

I thing all the 273 adjustable came with banana grooved shafts to oil the rocker evenly to keep from galling both the shaft and rockers. Standard shafts will work though, but for a daily driver I would find the grooved shafts.

That certainly makes sense to me since the ductile rockers have more surface area around the shaft.

I'm not sure if the set I have with standard shafts were original or not, they appeared to be when removed.

Tx for the reply guys..i was wondering about those grooves.
I just got my power/computer back on after 2 days due to that eastern Ontario ice storm!

-
Back