Adjusting Camber on 1973 Duster

-
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I got myself a 1973 duster. i recently slid, on ice, into a curb and bent the lower control arm, and rim. got it all put together. Now the wheel aint sitting straight up and down. I was wondering if anyone knew how to adjust it to make is straight up and down. i already have the toe in and toe out all aligned. Please help.

First make sure the upper a-arm, and strut bushings are good. Also set t-bar height. The adjustments will be done at the excentrics on the upper a-arm. A square to the wheel using a couple spacers to get past the tire bulge to check 0 camber on level surface. Typically turn front excentric to move a-arm out at top, then adjust back to get camber correct. When done readjust toe-in. Not sure what you did when adjusting that, there is only toe-in. Caster is also adjusted with the excentrics. Caster is not easy to measure. I do it by feeling how it drives, and making small adjustments, to get left and right balanced. The bolts need to be tightened to spec. Roll the car and recheck all measurements. It is an interative process unless you have slip plates and alignment equipment.

Make sure you tighten your camber/caster bolts with the weight of the car on its wheels. And you must correct toe after you adjust camber and caster, because adjust camber/caster will affect toe. The camber/caster bolts are very frequently seized in place.

Don't mess around with it if you don't have access to actual alignment equipment. Typical 4 wheel alignment only costs around 80 bucks. Everything is going to need readjustment. Caster needs to be set 1st, then Camber & then Toe. In that order. Insist on a 4 wheel alignment even though there is no adjustment on the rear. The front wheel alignment is calculated from the actual thrust angle of the rear axle relationship to the vehicle's center line. If done correctly you won't have any issues with an off-center steering wheel when you're done.
Seat of the pants backyard techniques are a waste of time.
It's like looking up in the sky at the sun & trying to guess what time of day it is & then setting your watch to it then trying to keep your appointments & be on time after that! You might get lucky but the odds are against it.

-
Back