Adjusting "stance"

-

Fstforward

Barracuda Freak
Reaction score
Ok, I replaced the 7-1/4 rear end in my car with an 8-3/4 sure grip, finished it up on Sunday, Lifted rear until car started to lift off of jack stands, then tightened rear shackle bolts good and tight. dropped car down to floor. today, rolled car out of garage, to spin it around, as I am going to start pulling 95% of the front end off and engine out etc. while in the driveway, I looked at it and the drivers side rear seems to sit about 1-2 inches higher that the passenger side rear, and this makes the front of the car sit funny.

How do I go about leveling off the back of the car, which, in turn, will take care of the front?? Do I loosen the driver's side shackle bolt, push down on the car and tighten it?? Never put a rear end into a leaf spring car, before. The springs are both pretty good(both sides) Car sat nice and level before I tore the 7-1/4 out.

Thanks in advance

FF

well, the car sat level, left to right, before I put the different rear end in. Now, the back left is higher than the back right, and that throws off the way the front sits. The car, overall, is a couple of inches higher in the rear, but I want side to side to be level, and that's what I'm inquiring about how to get that.

FF

You should tighten suspension components while the suspension is loaded (on the ground). You'll just destroy bushings trying to adjust ride height the way you are. The shackles need to be able to move with spring load.

As stated above the shackels have to be able to move, you probably have one that isn't that is why one side is sitting higher. The rear height comes from the springs.

Clamping everything down while unloaded is most likely your problem. A rear end swap should not change your ride height.

On a side note.... Don't bother playing with the ride height until after you do all the work on the front. Adjusting your final stance before all work is done and the car is at full weight is pointless.

well, the car sat level, left to right, before I put the different rear end in. Now, the back left is higher than the back right, and that throws off the way the front sits. The car, overall, is a couple of inches higher in the rear, but I want side to side to be level, and that's what I'm inquiring about how to get that.

FF
Try to not laugh at this one. I'd not believed it had I not been asked to try and figure out what the problem was:

Had an issue with a car that came into my shop. Sat crooked, but nothing was changed,save for a rear end swap. After screwing with it for a bit, I noticed one spring perch had been welded on a few degrees different from the other. It was enough to force the springs into a kind of "pre-load" if you will, affecting the side to side stance. Kinda like putting a slapper bar on one side, then cinching it down real hard. Just an idea. . .

-
Back