adjusting torsion bars.

-

72ScampTramp

Scamp Tramp
Reaction score
I have a new front suspension I put together. I believe I need to crank up the torsion bars to get the front end to hold its own weight. How far do you go in with the adjustment bolt? Car has no motor or trans but I’m going to need to move it soon. Also on the pass LCA I see the lever in the middle is up a bit do I need to tap this to move it back down to meet the adjuster bolt and do I need to remove the torsion bar to do this?

Adjustment won't matter much at this point. It'll have to be reset when the front end alignment is done later when the car is running/driving. Put the adjustment bolt half way through the nut if you need a starting point. I'm not sure what your second problem is. compare it to the other side to see what needs to be done. If the torsion bars are installed correctly (make sure you don't mix them from side to side) the adjuster bolts should be pressing on the levers at all times...even at it's lowest tension settings. If you have them clocked wrong, you'll have to pull the torsion bars back out and realign the sockets correctly so they do.

Sure......loosen the adjustment bolt so only the ball is sticking through the nut. Put some grease on the ball end of the adjustment bolt and a little in the socket of the lever. Push the lever up against the adjustment bolt so the ball is in the socket of the lever. Slide the torsion bar through the rear crossmember and put the rubber grease boot on the torsion bar. Put some grease on both ends of the torsion bar and both hex sockets. (I would recommend you install the bar with the tension code end toward the rear so you can easily check which torsion bar you have at a later date if needed). Continue to slide the bar into the hex socket in the lower control arm. You may have to rotate it slightly to get them both to engage. Once the torsion bar is seated, pack the rear anchor socket with grease and reinstall the snap ring in the rear crossmember to keep the torsion bar from working it's way out. Slide the boot into place and then tighten up the adjustment bolt to whatever tension is needed to get the road height you require.

Sounds like you didn't install the bars correctly. The upper control arm bumpers need to be removed to allow the suspension to sag its full travel with the car jacked under the frame not the suspension. Loosen the lower control arm pivot and align it with the torsion bar with the adjuster all the way out. (Youve got to slide the bars back some) When you set the car on its wheels it will already have pressure on the torsion bars before you start tighten the adjusters. Now tighten the LCA pivot after you have achieved ride height .

-
Back