Advance and transfer slots

-

canyncarvr

Reaction score
Hello:

I read this recently from AJ on an old post (this not a quote): I have seen many folks advancing timing on larger-cammed engines to improve vacuum with the result being the transfer ports are dead.

And that's my question. What is the balance between timing advance and proper transfer slot positioning?

I was fussing with my car the other day, got 2-3" more vacuum at idle with an initial timing going from 10ºBTDC to 18º...but also was a good bit over a reasonable idle RPM. I had the primary side shut down on its adjustment and had started turning down the secondary plates. I'm not done with the fussing quite yet, but it looks like I'll have to back the advance off a good bit to get a reasonable idle...say 850rpm.

A reasonable question: What am I trying to accomplish? I'm just looking for a better tune. I've run 10ºBTDC with a mechanical total of 32º for a long time. The car idles fine (no dithering/hang-ups), off-idle response is excellent. There is ZERO bog/hesitation. What got me started on changing the setup is to get some heat OUT of the exhaust. That relates to hot soak problems, and I DO have that. The change from 10-18ºBTDC certainly cleaned up the smell of the exhaust and (maybe a placebo effect) it seemed the engine bay cooled down a LOT.

My headers are coated inside and out. A btw.

...I should have taken some IR gun header readings. Didn't think of it at the time.

So: Timing the transfer slots comes first, and then get as much 'better' running from initial timing advance as you can get second?

If you are not getting an off-idle tip in sag at 10/12 degrees, AND, the trans does not bang into gear, then the Idle-Timing and fueling, is darn close, if perhaps a tad rich.

BTW, synchronizing the T-slot to the mixture screws, to the idle-timing was never My own idea, It's been around forever.

Just how big is your cam, and
I assume you have an automatic, so
About where does it stall, ballpark; and
WHAT carb, and
does it have a 4-corner Idle system?
Single or dual plane?
What is the operating elevation.

At to your "hot soak" situation.
"Hot soak" implies after the engine is shut down, and obviously ignition timing would have nothing to do with that. So Ima guessing you mean something else.

If you are not getting an off-idle tip in sag at 10/12 degrees, AND, the trans does not bang into gear, then the Idle-Timing and fueling, is darn close, if perhaps a tad rich.

BTW, synchronizing the T-slot to the mixture screws, to the idle-timing was never My own idea, It's been around forever.

Just how big is your cam,
Cam is a Hughes 3844 (237º/243º@ .050" 108ºLSA). Installed straight up 'per Hughes recommendation. Cam card numbers matched my degree wheel numbers within 1/2º, so there does not seem to be anything 'ground in' to the cam.

and
I assume you have an automatic
Now now...it's in my sig. A833.
WHAT carb, and
does it have a 4-corner Idle system?
Holley 4779. Yes. 4-corner idle. I reset those several times during my last 'fuss'.

Single or dual plane?

Edelbrock Performer RPM
What is the operating elevation.

1200'
At to your "hot soak" situation.
"Hot soak" implies after the engine is shut down, and obviously ignition timing would have nothing to do with that. So Ima guessing you mean something else.
I don't mean something else. I think they are related. The engine bay does not run as hot with more advance...that advance keeps some heat OUT of the headers. The less heat under the hood, the less hot soak problem I'll have. That's the plan anyway. The hot soak issue is a work in progress and not something I'm addressing here.

Read my comments in the MVA debate, in the General Discussions forum.
You gave the engine more idle timing, & the idle rpm & vacuum increased. Both are indicators of increased engine efficiency. The engine is making more hp with more timing, hence the rpm increase.

Often with big cams, the vac is insufficient to pull in the PCV pintle; acts like a big vac leak. Not realised because it is out of sight, out of mind. Because it pulls more air, t/blades need to be closed further. This could be your problem; just this week, I fixed a 360 engine that had this problem.
You can buy an expensive adjustable PCV.....or the simple, cheap trick that I use. A loooooong time ago I measured/calculated the PCV opening at idle. Equal to a round hole of 7/64-1/8".

Simply get some round 3/8" stock, alum, old bolt, etc & cut off a length 1/4-1/2", not critical. Drill a 1/8" hole through it & push into the PCV hose. Job done.
If the pri blades still close too much, you have an air leak or too much air getting past the sec blades [ reset them ].

You want the heat in the cylinder not the exhaust. When its lean because of exhaust gas dilution it needs more timing to get the burn to start earlier as it is slower and to place the PPP at an advantageous angle.

You can try richening it up via the IFR or using a slightly smaller IAB.

More vacuum does not always equal better. You changed the profile of the cam. Stock results are out the window.
Finding a happy balance now is the result.
Syleng1

Following

beavers.jpg

Hello:

I read this recently from AJ on an old post (this not a quote): I have seen many folks advancing timing on larger-cammed engines to improve vacuum with the result being the transfer ports are dead.

And that's my question. What is the balance between timing advance and proper transfer slot positioning?

I was fussing with my car the other day, got 2-3" more vacuum at idle with an initial timing going from 10ºBTDC to 18º...but also was a good bit over a reasonable idle RPM. I had the primary side shut down on its adjustment and had started turning down the secondary plates. I'm not done with the fussing quite yet, but it looks like I'll have to back the advance off a good bit to get a reasonable idle...say 850rpm.

A reasonable question: What am I trying to accomplish? I'm just looking for a better tune. I've run 10ºBTDC with a mechanical total of 32º for a long time. The car idles fine (no dithering/hang-ups), off-idle response is excellent. There is ZERO bog/hesitation. What got me started on changing the setup is to get some heat OUT of the exhaust. That relates to hot soak problems, and I DO have that. The change from 10-18ºBTDC certainly cleaned up the smell of the exhaust and (maybe a placebo effect) it seemed the engine bay cooled down a LOT.

My headers are coated inside and out. A btw.

...I should have taken some IR gun header readings. Didn't think of it at the time.

So: Timing the transfer slots comes first, and then get as much 'better' running from initial timing advance as you can get second?

There are multiple threads on this.

Bearing more manifold vacuum out of an engine doesn’t equate to a “better” idle.

Your engine may want more initial timing but running out and hooking it to manifold vacuum is the wrong approach.

That is a last resort fix.

Hysteric gave good advice in his post. Notice he didn’t say a thing about initial timing.

Be aware of books that are NOT used as text books. They are full of errors.

Hysteric said:
...or using a slightly smaller IAB.
Changing the Idle Air Bleed(s) would be a nice idea. I don't have an Ultra XP carb. Drilling/tapping/plugging/re-drilling the plug is not likely in my carb's future.

Re:
Finding a happy balance now is the result.

That is the entire point of my question.

Bewy said....

Indeed, I have not checked my PCV in a while. While it could be stuck, I would expect it could be more of a low-vacuum-'leak' issue. I'll check that. (a btw): Putting a 1/8" 'restrictor' in-line would defeat the PCV being open when it's supposed to be, wouldn't it?

Last edited:
The good news that my engine combo is similar to yours, so I can tell you what worked on mine, and it will sortof transfer to yours.
And I am at 930ft, so we're on the same page. and I too have a 4 speed.
My combo;
Eddy-headed 367, with a 276/286/110 cam which is 230/237@050
the Scr is 10.95, the Dcr is 8.6, and the pressure is ~180psi
Unwrapped/uncoated headers. Airgap/Ancient 750DP from circa 1970.
Fresh-Air, and coolant at 207, exactly. This engine, except for One Mile, has never run on anything but 87E10.
My timing events are;
276 intake/115 comp/104 power/286 exst/61overlap/ in@107
Compared to yours at about
286 intake/112 comp/104 power/290 exst/72 overlap/ in@105

Ok Opinions first;

That's a nice cam.
Headers coated inside and out, nice.
I Really hope you're running fresh air to the carb.
I hope your Performer is an AirGap.

Let's look at the problems.....
heat soak at shutdown
very hot underhood environment

My Experience
1) With a properly synced T-Slot, I can run the timing down to 5*, and in gear, she will idle across any hard/level/even parking lot at 550/500 on a good day; as long as I want it to.
2) With a manual trans, if I run the usual 12>14, the engine will start to buck, as the rpm falls.. Carb-wise, I have tried everything to get it to run down there and nothing worked. I reasoned that, the big 750DP just could not meter properly at that low of an rpm. I was wrong. Not until I started taking timing out, did she smooth right out.
IMO, this bucking was caused by too-powerful a burn in the cylinder. By retarding the Idle-timing, Peak cylinder pressure is lower, and it occurs later in the stroke, where the piston is lower in the cylinder. Thus the pressure is lower, and with the piston running away from the expanding gasses, the pressure is also more even. Thus the engine loses Idle-Power, and it smooths right out.. at idle, your engine only needs something like 5 hp, so there is no good reason to idle it at much more; especially not with a manual-trans.
Ok so yes, at 5* some heat goes into the exhaust; but think about it; At 550 rpm versus 850, there are only 65% as many compression/power events per time-period ....... so then; so what if there is more heat per pulse entering the ports; the average over time is still probably less.

And finally, How much time does your engine spend at idle?

Mine, in city driving, spends a lot of time maybe not exactly at idle, but at close to it, cuz I run 3.55s. I spent a lotta time getting my engine to run rock-steady at 207 degrees. Part of that was the Airgap, but the bigger difference came when I cut a hole in my hood, installed a nice Mr.Gaskett oval air-filter housing on top of the hood, and boxed/sealed the airhorn to the underside of the hood.
These changes, allowed me to lean out the carb some more at idle, and together, the heating issues disappeared for good.
My normal timing is 12/14, cuz this allows me to punch it, from idling in gear, no slipping the clutch.
I have a dash-mounted, adjustable, electronic timing module, with a range of 15*, that allows me to change the timing, on the fly, right from the driver's seat.
My Timing curve is:
12>14 at Idle, going to 28*@2800, going to 32/34@~3400. This allows me to run 87E10 with out detonation.
The ported VA has been modified to bring in up to 22* at 15inches
The Timing module is usually set to be able to add 6* or subtract 9*.
At 2800=64mph, the Cruise-timing is 28 plus 22 plus 6*, equals 56.
But I have a GVod, so the Cruise-rpm is closer to 65=2240, which is ~4* less.
To deal with the 500rpm Idle, I have installed a Hi-volume oilpump and a 7qt pan. With my Commando 3.09 Low, 500rpm is 3.6mph; so parading is on the table.

I should tell you;
That when I first assembled this engine in 1999, with a 292/292/108 cam, that first summer was very tense. That combo ran hot no matter what I did, and every time I shut it off, I had to wait 20 minutes before it would crank.
I finally tore the engine down and increased both the skirt clearance, and the ring gaps, which together with all the previous changes, solved it for good.

Summary.
Ok so, one more time, how much time does your engine spend at idle?
To recap the changes that I made;
I loosened up the engine, and
I fixed the cooling system, and
I elevated the intake up off the hot valley oil, and
I sent fresh cold air into the carb, and
I installed that big road-race oil pan, looking for a lil more radiating area.
I increased oiling onto my valvesprings to try and keep them cool. This required a lil ingenuity to get the oil back into the pan in a timely manner.
I divorced the one-piece 3/8ths pump to carb fuel line from the engine.
As to the cooling system;
8-vane pump with the anti-cavitation plate, 195 hi-flow stat, 7-blade all-steel A/C fan on a big Ford Thermostatic clutch, in a shroud, recirculating type expansion tank, and a restricted bypass hose. The rad is still the factory 1973 rad off a 318 Swinger with A/C, installed into the six-cylinder rad support. It's so ancient that even the patches on it have patches. and after the thing ran a rock-solid 207*F, I installed a 7pound cap.
After that;
I painted my Eddys, Three coats of heavy paint, to try and keep some heat in them, lol
BTW
IMO,
for a manual-tran streeter; forget trying to tune that beast with a vacuum gauge. That method will lead you down a long path of frustration. WHO the heck cares what the Idle-vacuum is. Let it be what it will be.
The lower the better, cuz it will prevent the dreaded bucking. My 292/108cam ran down at under 10, like 8inches IIRC.

Conclusion
This is how my car is set up. I'm not telling you this is how yours should be. I am reasonably confident that your combo, which I'm guessing it has iron heads, no quench, and not enough cylinder pressure, so it's gonna respond a lil different. So then, just pick and choose some of these tips, as many as it takes, until you get your heat under control.
I very highly recommend that you not try to run automatic-trans type of Idle-timing. Keep it conservative in the 10>14 range, which will get your Transfer Slots close to correct, at 750 rpm.

If you can't run down at 750 or less;
I'll take a wild guess that the engine has excessive internal friction.... like mine did, OR
the engine is getting air from some unauthorized place, OR
the oil is getting up into the crank. Nothing steals Idle-power like windage.
As has been mentioned,
as the manifold vacuum gets weaker, the PCV may not function correctly. I have a box of those I collected over the years. The PCV at idle has a fixed orifice, that cannot be closed. This is not so important to know with a 4-corner idle, cuz you can get air from the secondaries, and just put some fuel in it. If you try that with a standard carb, the dry air back there will cause AFR issues.
So, but it is important to know for guys running a cam about your size or bigger, using a standard carb. It will have to get bypass air from somewhere else. For a while, I ran two PCVs, which actually worked pretty good. But in the end, I just drilled small holes thru my Primary valves.
However, if the PCV will not stay "closed" at idle, now you have tuning problem. Just pull it out of the running engine; and look, or pinch it shut at idle. If you can't get the rpm down, this is the place to look first, but IMO, I don't think your cam will do that; But it will want at least some bypass air; my guess is the equivalent of one hole of 3/32inch, in each primary blade, in the general vicinity of the idle discharge ports but not too close to the edge. With your 4-corner idle, you should be able to just crack the secondaries. But again, cracking the secondaries, with fuel, will cause the Idle rpm to go up. Thus you will be tempted to close the curb-idle screw ....... which will change the Transfer-Slot exposure, which, when it closes too far, will get you an off-idle stumble, and/or a hesitation. The solution is to leave the slot exposure high enough to not get the stumble, and instead, just retard the stinking Idle timing.
If the Idle-timing gets down to say 8*, my guess is you are interpreting something wrongly. If you drilled holes, my guess is that they are too big, lol.
Oh finally
IMO, trying to solve a heatsoak issue with ignition timing is gonna be very frustrating. In the end, you're gonna have to figure out how to keep the carb cool, and cool fuel helps.
When you shut the engine off, the heat will come up and everything gets hot. NOTHING will stop it from eventually boiling at least some of the gas away.
Gasoline is made up of several different molecules most of which have different boiling points. The lightest ones might boil at 95*F, the heavier at up to 400. Just try lighting that off!
BTW, ethanol boils at 173*F so all those guys who blame boiling ethanol for their woes, I'm gonna suggest are probably wrong. Like I said earlier, my 430hp 367 has never run anything but "gasohol" except for 1/2 mile, which was 4 Eighth-Mile runs.

Ok I got some errands to run, and I just know, somebody is gonna start something. Just remember, this is what worked for me and your results may vary, lol.

I might do some editing later, but right now, I gotta run.
Ok all done

Last edited:
A couple of quick notes to AJ:

My intake is NOT an air-gap. The air-gap version was not available in 'Mopar' (IIRC) when I was manifold shopping. Yes, now it is. I did ask the question: "Will an air-gap help... with hot soak issues" some time back. I was sure the answer would be, 'Of course!'. That was NOT the general response...which WAS, 'Probably not'. I still want one. The enduro-shine is TOO glittery for me...and the epoxied-black one seems counter productive heat-wise.

I ran one'a those 292º/108ºs for years. WICKed, nasty beast it is! Not much different in the numbers from the Hughes 3844 but when it comes to comparing the two...somebody's numbers are LYing!

Fresh air: I have a 5" bracket style backwards mounted scoop with a 5" velocity stack on the carb. That's a whole 'nother air-flow matter...but with surveyor tape bits on the opening of the scoop I 'see' air getting sucked INto the engine compartment.

Re: "The solution is to leave the slot exposure high enough to not get the stumble, and instead, just retard the stinking Idle timing."

Now THAT is a 'balance' statement I can get behind.

That adjustable PCV from Wagner is $130...but their website speaks of 'for vacuum 7-11" using their 'light' spring. I'll be lucky to get 7" now..but that might all change if the PCV indeed gets restricted. Is it worth it? On a thread (not here) when someone used one, he answered that question with: 'Is it worth $130 or whatever? If this kind of thing annoys you? Absolutely.' ...his issue was not timing/idle-related..but his answer fits.

A couple of quick notes to AJ:

My intake is NOT an air-gap. The air-gap version was not available in 'Mopar' (IIRC) when I was manifold shopping. Yes, now it is. I did ask the question: "Will an air-gap help... with hot soak issues" some time back. I was sure the answer would be, 'Of course!'. That was NOT the general response...which WAS, 'Probably not'. I still want one. The enduro-shine is TOO glittery for me...and the epoxied-black one seems counter productive heat-wise.

I ran one'a those 292º/108ºs for years. WICKed, nasty beast it is! Not much different in the numbers from the Hughes 3844 but when it comes to comparing the two...somebody's numbers are LYing!

Fresh air: I have a 5" bracket style backwards mounted scoop with a 5" velocity stack on the carb. That's a whole 'nother air-flow matter...but with surveyor tape bits on the opening of the scoop I 'see' air getting sucked INto the engine compartment.

Re: "The solution is to leave the slot exposure high enough to not get the stumble, and instead, just retard the stinking Idle timing."

Now THAT is a 'balance' statement I can get behind.

That adjustable PCV from Wagner is $130...but their website speaks of 'for vacuum 7-11" using their 'light' spring. I'll be lucky to get 7" now..but that might all change if the PCV indeed gets restricted. Is it worth it? On a thread (not here) when someone used one, he answered that question with: 'Is it worth $130 or whatever? If this kind of thing annoys you? Absolutely.' ...his issue was not timing/idle-related..but his answer fits.

I use the Wagner PCV valve any time I can get the end use to buy one.

They think all PCV valves are the same or people try to modify a cheap one.

My engine has had 4 intakes over the years;
Initially, I ran the Wiand Excellerator then
An early factory Iron, then
An iron Thermoquad, finally
the AirGap. I painted it Orange like the Heads and Block.
and Gosh ,IIRC
these are the carbs it has seen;
AVS, TQ, and three Holleys; two 750s of which one was a V-secondary, and the other a DP, and I set up a 600 strictly for Fuel economy.
The 750DP on the AG is by far the bees knees; no contest. I got my AG just months after it was introduced.
I can't say if the AG helps with preventing percolation, cuz I never really had that issue, probably cuz the Alloy heads do Not have a heat Crossover, and those heads have been on the engine right from the beginning.

When I installed my 292, obviously I degreed it; But I also checked the 050 duration, and found it to be as advertised, which IIRC was 249".
That cam got moved 3 times in less than three months, for a total of 4 installs. It was just too big for 3.55s, which is all I wanted to run. That cam in my combo pulled hard all the way to 7000, and 7000 in 2.66 First gear was 60 mph. In Second it was 82, and in third it went to 113. Not exactly 4-speed/street friendly. I pulled it before the first summer was over. I ran it from 4* retarded, to straight up, to 4* advanced, to 8* advanced. I must say, that straight up with 4.30s, it was awesome!

As for the Adjustable PCV, lemmee just say that My engine has never needed more than the Factory system, with whatever valve I happened to have pulled out of the used parts box.
Before I would buy one of those Wagners, I would just install a fixed orifice in the line, for continuous evacuation, and make sure my breather is able to handle WOT vapors running thru it in reverse. Not a chance is it worth $130 TO ME.

Let's go back to the previous post, and have another look at where I compared my cam to yours.
"My timing events are;

286 intake/112 comp/104 power/290 exst/72 overlap/ in@105"

Notice that
almost all the difference between yours and mine is in the overlap. Yes you have 286 to my 276, but look again, I have an additional 3* of compression which means, your cam actually has LESS duration from TDC overlap to when the intake closes. Mine closes first.
So if your overlap cycle is not functioning 100%, your actual ingested air molecules could possibly be less than mine.
Now, the point is that our combinations from a cam standpoint should run very much the same. Which means that If mine runs on a factory PCV, so will yours ........ you just need to find one like mine, lol, which I scrounged out of a parts bin, so no chance I can tell you what it was originally installed into. daymn. Well, this I can say for sure; There were no PCV valves in that box from any BigBlock, lol.

I'd like to make one more point;
The harder your engine is working, the proof is in the vacuum gauge.
If you build two identical engines and the one idles at 8inches and the other at 11, all other things being equal, something is NOT identical. My guess would be that one is working harder just to overcome internal friction.
The main contributors to internal friction, in no particular order, are;
the flat tappets , the valve springs, the piston rings, tight skirts, and windage. Well I guess we gotta include all the trans gears spinning in oil
In my engine,
As to tappets, I run them at close to zero preload
As to springs, They are Hughes 1129s I think, and my lift is 549/571.. So not much I can do about those except I flood them with oil.
As for rings, I run a Plasma Moly Second and a slightly loose top gap, and they are the fat-boys.
As to pistons; The KB107s were too tight on the first go-round, and while I can't recall what the clearance is anymore, I'll guess around 3 or 4 thou.
As to windage, I run 5qts of 10W30 in a 7qt roadrace pan,
with a windage tray, and a hi-volume pump. .
As to the trans, I run 50/50 dextron/85-90 EP lube. and I run a heavy factory flywheel, cuz I like the dump-it-and-go routine. I don't care if it revs slower. it's a streeter and how much faster than zero to sixty in ~5 seconds does it need to be.

Ok so, there ya go, more food for thought.

Last edited:
My engine has had 4 intakes over the years.

Initially I ran the Wiand Excellerator then
An early factory Iron, then
An iron Thermoquad, finally
the AirGap. I painted it Orange like the Heads and Block.
and Gosh ,IIRC these are the carbs it has seen;
AVS, TQ, and three Holleys; two 750s of which one was a V-secondary, and the other a DP, and I set up a 600 strictly for Fuel economy.
The 750DP on the AG is by far the bees knees; no contest. I got my AG just months after it was introduced.
I can't say if the AG helps with preventing percolation, cuz I never really had that issue, probably cuz the Alloy heads do Not have a heat Crossover, and those heads have been on the engine right from the beginning.

When I installed my 292, obviously I degreed it; But I also checked the 050 duration, and found it to be as advertised, which IIRC was 249".
That cam got moved 3 times in less than three months, for a total of 4 installs. It was just too big for 3.55s, which is all I wanted to run. That cam in my combo pulled hard all the way to 7000, and 7000 in 2.66 First gear was 60 mph. In Second it was 82, and in third it went to 113. Not exactly 4-speed/street friendly. I pulled it before the first summer was over. I ran it from 4* retarded, to straight up, to 4* advanced, to 8* advanced. I must say that straight up with 4.30s it was awesome.

As for the Adjustable PCV, lemmee just say that My engine has never needed more than the Factory system, with whatever valve I happened to have pulled out of the used parts box.
Before I would buy one of those, I would just install a fixed orifice in the line, for continuous evacuation, and make sure my breather is able to handle WOT vapors running thru it in reverse. Not a chance is it worth $130 TO ME.

Let's go back to the previous post, and have another look at where I compared my cam to yours.
"My timing events are;

286 intake/112 comp/104 power/290 exst/72 overlap/ in@105"

Notice that
almost all the difference between yours and mine is in the overlap. Yes you have 286 to my 276, but look, I have an additional 3* of compression which means, your cam actually has LESS duration from TDC overlap to when the intake closes. Mine closes first.
So if your overlap cycle is not functioning 100%, your actual ingested air molecules could possibly be less than mine.
Now, the point is that our combinations from a cam standpoint should run very much the same. Which means that If mine runs on a factory PCV, so will yours ........ you just need to find one like mine, lol, which I scrounged out of a parts bin, so no chance I can tell you what it was originally installed into. daymn.

I'd like to make one more point;
The harder your engine is working, the proof is in the vacuum gauge.
If you build two identical engines and the one idles at 8inches and the other at 11, all other things being equal, something is NOT identical. My guess would be that one is working harder just to overcome internal friction.
The main contributors to internal friction, in no particular order, are;
the flat tappets , the valve springs, the piston rings, tight skirts, and windage. Well I guess we gotta include all the trans gears spinning in oil
In my engine,
As to tappets, I run them at close to zero preload
As to springs, They are Hughes 1129s I think, and my lift is 549/571.. So not much I can do about those except I flood them with oil.
As for rings, I run a Plasma Moly Second and a slightly loose top gap, and they are the fat-boys.
As to pistons; The KB107s were too tight on the first go-round, and while I can't recall what the clearance is anymore, I'll guess around 3 or 4 thou.
As to windage, I run 5qts of 10W30 in a 7qt roadrace pan,
with a windage tray, and a hi-volume pump. .
As to the trans, I run 50/50 dextron/85-90 EP lube. and I run a heavy factory flywheel, cuz I like the dump-it-and-go routine. I don't care if it revs slower. it's a streeter and how much faster than zero to sixty in ~5 seconds does it need to be.

Ok so, there ya go, more food for thought.

I’ll say it again, if you haven’t used one you don’t understand how shitty the part you are using is.

If you run a PCV the Wagner is the ONLY option IF you want to tune it.

On the dyno it takes 10 minutes. A half hour in the car.

You can modify junk and it will always be modified junk.

More BS.
A Wagner PCV is NOT the only way to tune your engine.
The factory PCVs flow a small amount of air at idle [ equivalent to a 1/8" round hole ]. Working properly [ ie enough engine vacuum to pull in the pintle inside the PCV ], this amount of air is drawn into the engine. When vac drops [ throttle blades opened ], the pintle unseats & lets in additional air.
I have tuned countless low vacuum engines just using a 3/8" ferrule [ 1/8" hole through it ] shoved into the PCV hose. I have done two this week. Just make sure your engine has a breather.

With a manual trans, if I run the usual 12>14, the engine will start to buck, as the rpm falls.. Carb-wise, I have tried everything to get it to run down there and nothing worked.

I am familiar. Can you say what it is that causes that bucking behavior? Something is causing a come-and-go situation, but what is it? Centrifugal? I missed your earlier comment. Got it.

In reply to other items mentioned:

Current engine was put together in the early '00s. Likely to have less than 5K miles on it. Don't recall the valve spring PN, but it was what Hughes recommended for my 'kit'.

Top rings are CA Gapless (was 'cool' at the time) with a plasma/moly 2nd. Pistons are JE (I think?), moly coated. I too run 5-6 quarts of oil in a 7qt. pan. Something niggles at me that I left the windage tray off. Something to do with not fitting with the crank studs maybe. Not sure. I do run Valvoline 20W/50 with a high volume pump. Give me Zn&P please. Water pump is an anti-cav Milodon. I tried a smaller (than stock) crank pulley. Certainly had charging issues and IIRC cooling went south, too. Took it off. 30lb. flywheel for giddyup. When I raced the car, I ran 5:13 gears, so flywheel inertia was not relevant. I run GL4 in my 833. I'm not doing much in the way of 5500RPM shifts these days, so want to err on the side of longevity. I LIKE an ATF fill in the trans, but don't trust it for the long haul. ...not that my car does much of that!

Last edited:
-
Back