advance springs?

-

DART66GT

62 Lancer GT - B Body 8 3/4
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have a few sets of springs from various mopar distributors. Do the lighter springs just have less windings?

Also I would like to know what to lube/protect the plates with?

I have a few sets of springs from various mopar distributors. Do the lighter springs just have less windings?

Not necesarily. They actually may have more windings. The wire will be smaller diameter so the spring will have less tension.

Hi-temp light weight lube suitable for a dist. is available at most auto supply stores.

FWIW,

More windings means less tension, larger spring diameter means less tension, larger wire diameter means more tension.

The ones I have are the same thickness wire with less windings. Which must mean more tension. I may just get the Mr. Gasket Kit. Thanks for the replies.

FWIW,

More windings means less tension, larger spring diameter means less tension, larger wire diameter means more tension.

Great job explaining it Dave.

Dart66GT The Mr.Gasket kit may be ok but I'd be wary of generic stuff. I've had problems making some of that stuff fit right. Mopar perf. sells a kit made specifically for the Mopar distributors. Here it is on Mancini's site

http://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/disadweigspr.html

You don't want to use both of those springs in a street motor. You will have full advance right off idle. One of the MP springs mated to the lighter of the two stock springs has the advance all in around 2500 rpm.

I'm sorry I didn't mean Mr. Gasket I meant Mopar performance spring kit. It has 5 or 6 sets of springs to choose from.

The kit with multiple springs is intended to be used with the Mopar Performance distributor that is manufactured by Mallory. These springs and the advance curves are for that advance mechanism. You will be in the same boat with these in a stock distributor as you would be with the generic Mr. Gasket kit.

It will take a lot of trial and error to get it working well.

Great job explaining it Dave.

Dart66GT The Mr.Gasket kit may be ok but I'd be wary of generic stuff. I've had problems making some of that stuff fit right. Mopar perf. sells a kit made specifically for the Mopar distributors. Here it is on Mancini's site

http://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/disadweigspr.html

i've used the mr.gasket springs before and they work well.. heck the MP springs are probably made by the same people that make the mr.gasket ones anyway..

in a street car your best off using the stock lighter spring that is already in the dist.. and one of the really light springs for one of the spring kits.. that will usually bring the advance in by 2200-2400 rpm wich is perfect for the street...

the new mopar enthusiast magazine has a great article about curving your dist to your combo.. talks about the different springs and the different advance plates in the dist... even has a lil cheat sheet for the slot sizes in the advance plates for the size of the curve you want....

Thanks for the advice dgc333. When you say one of the MP springs mated to the lighter of the 2 stock springs. Which MP springs are you referring to? And does that mean the light stock spring takes the position of the heavier stock spring, And the MP spring takes the place of the light stock spring?
Thanks again for all your help...

Thanks for the advice dgc333. When you say one of the MP springs mated to the lighter of the 2 stock springs. Which MP springs are you referring to? And does that mean the light stock spring takes the position of the heavier stock spring, And the MP spring takes the place of the light stock spring?

just pull the heavy stock spring and replace it with the light spring from the kit.... when you look in there it will make sence.. its a cake job.

The only MP part numbered kit I am aware of has two very light springs in it and runs about $10. This is the one I am refering to. The other kit with a bunch of springs is actually a Mallory part number and it comes with a number of differnt springs and spacers used to set the total mechanical advance. It has a nice set of instructions with charts showing the advance curve with different spring combinations.

With this kit you decide on what you want for intial timing and total timing take the difference and use the nearest (come in 2 degree increments) spacer and set the stops and you are done. Then look at the charts for the curve you want and install the springs for that curve and you are done. Saves a huge amount of time over welding/filing slots and trying generic springs.

Thanks again. I'm ordering some stuff from summit and they have the 2 spring MP kit for $4.95. Just to make sure I have this clear in my head. When I get the kit. I leave the light factory spring right where it is and replace the heavier stock spring with the one from the kit. Is this correct?

Thanks again. I'm ordering some stuff from summit and they have the 2 spring MP kit for $4.95. Just to make sure I have this clear in my head. When I get the kit. I leave the light factory spring right where it is and replace the heavier stock spring with the one from the kit. Is this correct?

correct... that will bring total timing in between 2200 - 2400 rpm...

The article in mopar enthusiast magazine is very good. The author convinced me to use the Mr. Gasket Ford springs. $3.47 at advance auto. By the way I misquoted the MP springs are $11.95 from summit.

Dredging up an old thread, but does anyone know the Mr. Gasket part # for the Ford kit, or what the best springs to throw into an old MP distributor are?? I probably bought the conversion kit in 1998 or so and the distributor does not have the Torx screws, the springs that are on it are a smaller looking green spring, and a beefier looking purpleish blue spring.

I dont know why everyone is so uptight about springs. You can go to the hardware store and buy different springs and trial and error till you get the curve you like. ink pens have light springs and old electronics and turntables and such have them. You think the early drag racers had spring kits. They improvised.

I agree with daredevil. Just find some springs that are about the right length and see what kind of curve they give you. I did try the Mr. Gasket springs a while back though. I think they are part number 925B. I put 1 Mr. Gasket spring and 1 light spring from a '68 383 factory distributor in my 440's distributor. It gets all the timing in around 2,700.

Just got a Mallory/Mr Gasket dist. Keep the heavy purple, change the other spring. They sent so many springs..
And it takes no bushings, just gauges to change advance, and yes, a pain.

I dont know why everyone is so uptight about springs. You can go to the hardware store and buy different springs and trial and error till you get the curve you like. ink pens have light springs and old electronics and turntables and such have them. You think the early drag racers had spring kits. They improvised.

I guess it all boils down to what your time is worth. I for one will spend the $30 to get a kit with an assorment of springs and spacers so I only have to pull the distributor once to set it up the way I want it.

And do you think the early racers went to the hardware store once the spring kits became available?

Anyone know the part #'s for a Summit order??

Mallory has two types of mechanisims and two different kits you need to get the one for the type you have. If it's a MP distributor with the mallory mechanism the kit number is 29014.

It's an older MP electronic distributor with a slotted plate stamped 13R. Not adjustable. It has a green tag on the side of it that says 3690430.

-
Back