Advancing timing.

-

frederick_76

Reaction score
Before I fire up my 408 for the first time I want to set the dizzy a bit advanced from TDC, clockwise or counterclockwise for advancing?

Smallblock? Advance is COUNTER clockwise

B/RB..............Advance is CLOCKwise

The giveaway.....look at the vacuum advance can. Vacuum pulls on the diaphragm to advance timing. If you want to advance it twist the distributor the same direction vacuum would pull on the diaphragm.

As was stated. Mopar small block distributors all rotate clockwise and you twist the distributor body ccw for advance. Mopar big block distributors rotate ccw and you twist the body cw for advance.

If one knows which way round to put the plugwires on the dist.cap, one should already know the direction the rotor turns, which should help in figuring out how retarding or advancing is done.

If one knows which way round to put the plugwires on the dist.cap, one should already know the direction the rotor turns, which should help in figuring out how retarding or advancing is done.

And if it has mechanical advance and you don't remember rotation, you can "spring" the rotor. A CW distributor like a SB you can "spring" the rotor CW a few degrees. As said above, if you have vacuum advance you can look at that.

Another "moment" of confusion, LOL, if you take an "old school" Ford such as 390/ 289 etc, and renumber the cylinders "like a Chev/ Mopar" the firing order is the same

Find #1TDC on compression.Set the crank to 20 degrees advanced by backing it upCCW. Pull the coil-wire out of the dizzy and near ground it. Turn on the ignition to run. Push the Vcan back to the firewall a few degrees. Then pull it towards the rad, until the coil fires. Repeat a couple of times, until you are satisfied. Turn off the key. Pop the cap off and make sure the rotor's firing tip is under the tower that is wired to #1.Secure the dizzy,make sure the rest of the wires are correctly installed,and put it all back together.
You are now set to go.
Push the car outside, a couple of car lengths away from any buildings.
Get the fire extinguisher!
Prove the fuel system is not leaking!
And bring the water hose!
And a screwdriver to crank up the idle speed as soon as it fires.
And a helper.
Put the empty air cleaner on.
I always get a helper on the fire extinguisher, with instructions not to hold back! Pull the pin off the fire-extinguisher before you turn the key!

Last edited:
Before I fire up my 408 for the first time
If you left the dots at 6/12 o'clock: turn dampener slightly to 15 BTDC. clock the intergear/install dist with rotor toward the rear & slightly toward the drivers side (maintains OE plug wire routing letting em lay the neatest with the shortest lengths possible) & turn the housing slightly till the magnet is dead even with that tooth. plug in the #6 plug wire above the rotor & continue on around CW (6)-5-7-2-1-8-4-3. With the springs retracted (they should be) you want the rotor slightly to the trailing (CW) edge of the cap terminal since vac adv will shift rotor phasing CCW on a SB.

-
Back