Advice for Noob with Slant 6 Barracuda

-
Very clean looking Barracuda there Dratsum, nice!

I know the feeling of helpless lack of power as well.
My limited experience with slant six modification is as follows:
PROBLEM: No power, floored all the time, must.. fix.
SUBJECT: 1983 W150 Power Ram Truck w/slant six and np435 4 speed. Single barrel carburetor with more silly attachments than a Kirby vacuum. Electronic Spark Control.
SOLUTION: LUCKY junk yard find Offy 4 barrel slant six intake for $50. Carter AFB #3853S bought off a stuck 273 v8 and rebuilt. 70's style Electronic Ignition setup. Plugs, wires, de-cat, de-air pump.
RESULTS: Huge improvement off idle and low rpm, no aparent signs of over carburation, no hesitation. Of course this is a 4500 lb truck, so it needs more fuel, but this small four barrel carb performs perfect and I have hauled bed loads of wood in 4 wheel drive as well without having to jam my foot into the floor constantly. Also note that this slant has the more wimpy hydraulic lifter camshaft, and still works great with the added fuel and air(though it stops pulling shortly past 4,000 rpm- good enough for this trucks use). Before this truck could only go 65mph, 70 downhill in 2 wheel drive. Now I am able to actually pass the 85mph mark on the speedo and have cruised happily at 60 in 4 wheel with ease. This engine is all stock other than the for-mentioned mods and a turbo muffler and downturn under the cab.

Anyhow, that's most of my limited slant six experience, good day, and good luck with yours!
39012684021_large.jpg
15550628_large.jpg

You got a clean original mod top A-body. Keep it that way.
Don't fall for the hodge podge GM BS. Keep it Mopar.
If it was mine:
Rebuild the carb
2.25" free flowing exhaust
Mopar electronic ignition.
Done...Drive it.

I've got a 67 Slant Six Barracuda that I'm looking to do the same thing with. I've been looking at the Pertronix electronic ignition as well. I'm also thinking about the Clifford package with the header/intake/Weber 2 barrel combo. Clifford recommends using 2.25'' Magnaflow XLs with this setup. Anyone have any experience with this setup? Also, should I think about a x-pipe in this configuration?

Attachments

• 326A.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 313
You got a clean original mod top A-body. Keep it that way.
Don't fall for the hodge podge GM BS. Keep it Mopar.
If it was mine:
Rebuild the carb
2.25" free flowing exhaust
Mopar electronic ignition.
Done...Drive it.
Grate advice and it worked wonders on my /6
Thank you for all your help and advice in the past Johnny Dart :cheers:

I've got a 67 Slant Six Barracuda that I'm looking to do the same thing with. I've been looking at the Pertronix electronic ignition as well. I'm also thinking about the Clifford package with the header/intake/Weber 2 barrel combo. Clifford recommends using 2.25'' Magnaflow XLs with this setup. Anyone have any experience with this setup? Also, should I think about a x-pipe in this configuration?
JMO here, and some good advice from others... I stayed with dual exhaust
to the tail shaft and then to a single at the trans tail shaft.
But there was some that said why did I do this... tuned the exhaust and
if you want a rumble bee sound go duals.. But I have been very happy with my 2 1/4'' to a single then to a good stock (quit) muffler.
Remember!! I like it quit but have good flow. Just me. memike :coffee2:

Talked to Mike and I must say I am interested :glasses7:
A ready to run 250 hp 225 could be in my life one day.
Doubling the stock hp :glasses7:

BillGrissom - not sure of the carb model, was there more than one that came stock? It's been taken off and cleaned, but does idle pretty rough, and has a hard time starting in the cold.

I however need to learn what to expect from it tho... This is my first classic car - ever - so, yeah it struggles when it idles, and wants to turn off, but I don't know how much of that is 'normal?' - or at least to be expected.

We drive her everyday, and she seems to run a little better, everyday... or maybe that's just us changing :D

Drats

Call me a skeptic, but I don't see a mild slant with 9.5:1 compression, big valves and a little porting making 250 hp with one of the Comp Cams. Those cams pretty much suck...

Bored to the 2.2 turbo 4 banger Pistons, Cubic inches up to 238 I think and uses 198 H beam rods Mike said.
He said finding a good core up in Mi. is the first problem. :coffee2:
I am skeptic of the over all hp he said it will make, but just a 200hp slant
sure would be nice :coffee2: I think he said $4.400 for a ready to go /6.

I have to agree with keep it OEM as possible and drive it minimal.
I wouldn't change the way the engine breathes or accelerates unless I was doing complete rebuild. I might start purchasing some parts while waiting and listening for the first bottom end knock. Turn it off before it pokes the #5 rod through the left side of the block. Rebuild it.
To keep it numbers matching means as much or more to some as a long list of aftermarket brand names in a resale ad.
i admit I've taken a slant 6 base model to V8, p/s, p/b, a/c, stereo, cruise control, and more, but that car was nothing special from the start. It never received the admiration or respect that the well kept classics enjoyed either.
A yellow 69 modtop notch is special regardless whats under the hood. The flowers have both lovers and haters just like the leaning tower of power. They never fail to draw a crowd long before the hood is raised. Just another opinion though.

BillGrissom - not sure of the carb model, was there more than one that came stock? It's been taken off and cleaned, but does idle pretty rough, and has a hard time starting in the cold.

I however need to learn what to expect from it tho... This is my first classic car - ever - so, yeah it struggles when it idles, and wants to turn off, but I don't know how much of that is 'normal?' - or at least to be expected.

We drive her everyday, and she seems to run a little better, everyday... or maybe that's just us changing :D

Drats

Once you know the carb is in good shape, you should expect it to start up after one pump and run until it runs out of gas. It doesn't get as cold here as it does where you are but I would expect a working choke to start it up without much struggling in the winter.

Bored to the 2.2 turbo 4 banger Pistons, Cubic inches up to 238 I think and uses 198 H beam rods Mike said.
He said finding a good core up in Mi. is the first problem. :coffee2:
I am skeptic of the over all hp he said it will make, but just a 200hp slant
sure would be nice :coffee2: I think he said $4.400 for a ready to go /6.
thats the specs i'm building my slanty for my coupe
2.2 turbo pistons
198 long rods
cam undecided
big valve head shaved
hyper pak
electronic ignition ,,mopar

-
Back