Advice Needed Drag Racing w/ Cragar SS

-

Jay Anderson

Reaction score
I'm putting together a street/strip (mostly strip) '68 Valiant. 543 hp, built 747 torqflite w/ brake, Dana 60, 456 gear, mini tubbed with 325-60 drag radials and Caltracs. I'm wanting to keep it old school and I've got Cragar SS wheels that are direct drill 4.5 bp with 1/2" screw in studs. At this power level and leaving on the trans breake, is this going to be a safe rear wheel choice?

Should be ok. :)

tumblr_luaei8imCj1qdcd2wo1_500.jpg

Using long 1/2" studs and open end lugs should be just fine for that. Make sure your lug shank is the correct length for the wheel hole depth. Re-torque the lugs frequently. Make sure the studs don't back out on you when you reinstall the wheels. Mark your tire positions to the wheels to see if they try to slip.

As long as the studs come all the way through the open ended nuts you are fine. If not either get longer studs or shorter nuts...lol

Thanks for the input! The wheels use the conical lug nuts and I had Moser install 3" studs. I could not get them where you use the shank (mag) style lug nuts. Any issue there?

IMG_0548.JPG

............My fronts are, but the backs weren't available with the shank style.

I never ran the conical lug nuts other than with street wheels/tires. Maybe the contact area provides more than enough clamp load for them.
I still have my old Cragars in the shed taking up space, Lol. I also had some uni-lugs on my car for a time.

CragarWheel1.gif
CragarWheel2.gif

-
Back