Advice needed, leaf springs

-

EXcappa

Reaction score
Hi All,

My current springs need to be reset, they are sagging and it hits the bump stops regularly.
I'm going to use this as a street/strip car so i need a bit of a compromise for both.

I have read up on adding extra clamps to the front of the springs.
Is the anything else i should have done like add/remove a leaf, springs lengths etc?

Thanks.

Considering thisis the racers forum, what kind of power are we pumping outof the engine?
Calvert racing has a really nice set up for high powered rides.
ESPO.com makes some really nice springs for daily drivers and well prep'd street strippers. I've used these guys before.
Also customizable, overbent 1 inch, 1.5 inch, etc...
Sorry that these places are state side.

I had the springs on my daily driver Dart re-arched and another leaf installed three years ago. Couldn't be happier. I can load it up front and rear with adults and it rides great. Local metal fab shop charged me $150. I found a flat parking lot and brought my floor jack with a block of wood to the rear bumper. Measured before and brought it up a little at a time and remeasured. I told him I wanted 1.75" and he nailed it.

Considering thisis the racers forum, what kind of power are we pumping outof the engine?
Calvert racing has a really nice set up for high powered rides.
ESPO.com makes some really nice springs for daily drivers and well prep'd street strippers. I've used these guys before.
Also customizable, overbent 1 inch, 1.5 inch, etc...
Sorry that these places are state side.

Making 580hp, I will be aiming for 650+ with the next engine.

I had the springs on my daily driver Dart re-arched and another leaf installed three years ago. Couldn't be happier. I can load it up front and rear with adults and it rides great. Local metal fab shop charged me $150. I found a flat parking lot and brought my floor jack with a block of wood to the rear bumper. Measured before and brought it up a little at a time and remeasured. I told him I wanted 1.75" and he nailed it.

Thanks Robj, how much power you making? How many leafs you have in the pack?

I had a local shop add a leaf to the set off the duster. They put in a .291 leaf and man she's a stiff sob. Hoping she settles a bit after I get a chance to drive it a little.

I had a local shop add a leaf to the set off the duster. They put in a .291 leaf and man she's a stiff sob. Hoping she settles a bit after I get a chance to drive it a little.
Good luck on that. i tried that and when i finally put a set of SS spring on, i thought i had a caddy!

Adding a leaf only makes it stiffer. the only" lift" you get is the thickness of the leaf itself.
At least that was my experience.

That wasn't my experience! It raised this one too much and I had to put a set of lowering blocks in it to put it back down where I wanted it. The .291" leaf material is almost too d*mn stiff

-- Good luck on that. i tried that and when i finally put a set of SS spring on, i thought i had a caddy!
Adding a leaf only makes it stiffer. the only" lift" you get is the thickness of the leaf itself.
At least that was my experience. --
-- Yep ! -- Go with SS springs. --- www.manciniracing.com

MOPAR SS springs lifted my old 71 dart right where it should be and dont ride like a truck.

after

side view. and they got so much traction i now burn the driver side tire....

yet to see how bad the new 440 wraps them up tho..

Wait, I missed something.
You went from No-spin at stock height(assumed), to
spinning one tire with the rear weight shifted forward,
And now it has "so much traction"?

How does this help EXcappa?

Wait, I missed something.
You went from No-spin at stock height(assumed), to
spinning one tire with the rear weight shifted forward,
And now it has "so much traction"?

How does this help EXcappa?

If I had to guess his diff is an open and was just doing one wheel wonder launches. It sounds like the springs helped equal out the traction some, now the drivers side tire spins too.

Other then that I have no clue...

Here's a couple shots of the 72. You can see the added leaf and a before and after with the lowering blocks. Can't say I am a fan of lowering blocks, but I am less a fan of the car sitting 5" off the tires.

Attachments

• IMG_20160118_152117999.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 176
  • IMG_20151215_205659060.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 185
  • 2053.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 182
Years ago I put SS springs on my Demon and I hated the back end jacked up so I put 2 inch lowering blocks under it. It looked a whole lot better.

Attachments

• Demon 2 001.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 157
Those front hangers looked to be flipped?? That would lower the car..

-
Back